Missing diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm extremely confident that some shops (Aldora, 3P, etc) will quietly evaluate divers who are new to them during the first couple of dives, and then attempt to place that diver with other people of similar skill. As the customer, you may not even be aware of this, particularly with a smoothly run shop.
Roberta's does basically that. Punta Sur is late in the week, after they have seen you dive, and invitation only (you can ask, but the boat is "too full" if they haven't seen or don't like the way you dive).

Pulled that memory from 10 years ago with no problem. I envy you... gringo, señor, same same in this context.
It was just such a memorable story that I have never forgotten it. I think "no way, gringo" is funnier than "not yet, senor," but it's not my story.

That's not exactly verbatim how you have told this story before: Advanced dives for beginners?
Do you tell a story exactly the same way every time? That would be boring, wouldn't it? I agree that him busting out laughing and saying,"No way, gringo" is funnier, but the way I told it today is likely a bit more accurate. He was really nice to me and he taught me a lot when I first started diving 29 years ago. If google is to be believed he is still around - Darwin Zapata.

I'm extremely confident that some shops (Aldora, 3P, etc) will quietly evaluate divers who are new to them during the first couple of dives, and then attempt to place that diver with other people of similar skill.
^^^This^^^…When this is done well, the rest takes care of itself. Briefings and site selection can be “customized” and the boat/group has common expectations. Nothing is perfect and there are logistical limitations, but I prefer this informal method whenever possible. This being a common practice in Coz is one of the things that makes repeat visits appealing. All IMHO, YMMV 😊

i am not sure i would agree 100% with the statement that "all respectable ops vet divers". i guess it depends on what your definition is of "vetting".

in all the years i have been diving and travelling, i think the only shop that ever "required" a check out dive for example, was on in st maarten. if you booked the shark feeding experience, you had to do at least one dive with that shop in order for them to gauge if you would be a liability on the shark dive.

other than that, it has always been the usual questions and/or form to fill out. when did you dive last? how many dives do you have? can i see your c-card? etc etc.

there are a small number of shops i have used that required an advanced cert before they would agree to take you to certain sites. none of these were in cozumel. and an adv cert does not prove anything. my wife has no other certs than ow and she has never been denied access to any dive site.

i think when it comes to vacation diving, and in particular in locations where strong currents can be present, there are two important things to consider.

1 - the diver has a responsibility to themselves, their buddy, and the others on the boat, to make an honest assessment of whether or not they are ready to dive in certain conditions.

2 - the dive operation also has a duty to make sure divers onboard understand what the conditions are, how bad it might get, and possibly describe what to do if conditions get so bad the dive should be aborted.

the fact is that many divers (even if they are very competent) have never experienced extreme current let alone what people like to call down currents. it is not really fair to expect any diver who has never been in these type of conditions to be able to understand how bad it can get and how to deal with it.

my wife's and my first dive on santa rosa was a complete sh*t show. we had no idea it was going to be as bad as it was. it was a horrible dive for us and we decided to cut the dive short no matter whether we had to leave the group or not. we were just not prepared for it. it was quite the learning experience for us both.

i cannot recall ever having any dive guide ever saying anymore than..."the current is strong today" and/or "the current is running north to south today" etc.

i am certainly not saying anyone is to blame for this particular tragedy, just reminding people that the ocean can be a very inhospitable place, and for those who have not personally experienced how quickly things can go sideways, it is hard for anyone to know how they will react.
I think that the statement that all respectable dive ops vet divers, is not merely a statement, but a statement of fact. Now, those being vetted may not be aware of the vetting, but if I knew with an absolute certainty that no vetting was taking place, we'd be gone. I remember clearly our first dive with Cubano. We were unaware that he was paying any attention to us. He told us afterward that he knew in less than 5 minutes that we were comfortable at depth and didn't need his attention.

As an aside here, this is one of the reason's that thoughtless dive shop cheerleading drives me nuts. The shop has little to do with the dive. It's on the dm.

Wholeheartedly agree. An aow doesn't tell anybody anything about one's diving abilities.

Also wholeheartedly agree, the ultimate responsibility for us individually, is us. That would also include down currents. We've never experienced one, but I've asked a lot of questions of dms, divers, shop owners and read many, many threads and posts on this board. I feel like we're as well prepared as possible.

As someone else said, if you've never heard anything more than "the current is strong today", it's way, way past time to find another shop/dm. The dm who limits their briefing to that, is lazy.[Mod edit]

Who was dive with cubano?

I think that the statement that all respectable dive ops vet divers, is not merely a statement, but a statement of fact. Now, those being vetted may not be aware of the vetting, but if I knew with an absolute certainty that no vetting was taking place, we'd be gone. I remember clearly our first dive with Cubano. We were unaware that he was paying any attention to us. He told us afterward that he knew in less than 5 minutes that we were comfortable at depth and didn't need his attention.
[Mod edit]
just to clarify my statement.....i 100% agree that any DM worth their salt is watching any new divers they are not familiar with to evaluate their skill level. and yes, most would know in a very short amount of time whether they need to keep a closer watch on you or not.
i was more referring to how divers might be evaluated BEFORE they get in the water. although that is admittedly a lot to ask.
that is why i add in my comment that i could only think of one shop that actually "required" a check out dive (meaning an easy shallow dive). which is really the only way for any shop to know how prepared any diver may or may not be.

that is why i add in my comment that i could only think of one shop that actually "required" a check out dive (meaning an easy shallow dive). which is really the only way for any shop to know how prepared any diver may or may not be.
You make some good points, but you may be underestimating the skills of the dms & captains. They have a pretty good idea of who is going to need “assistance” just from how they handle themselves on the boat. Heck, I can too to a certain extent, and they do it for a living (also most divers are honest…sometimes brutally so…TMI 😳). Plus it’s nothing to drop over the sand a short swim from most of the standard sites. It gives dms a chance to “evaluate “ new to them divers and experienced divers on their first dives of the trip a chance to sort their $h!t all without inconveniencing others on the boat. Pretty seamless, actually. All IMHO, YMMV (depending on your choice of dive op). :clearmask::bounce::bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom