Missing Diver near Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valligurl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend just emailed me that two friends (father and son) were diving near Hatteras. The father came up but the coast guard is searching for the son. The search started around noon today. Anyone hear of this? Any updates?

I dont know if its the same, but I doubt 2 divers came up missing so close together.
the Virginian Pilot has a story of a missing diver from the Akyla operated by DiveHatteras & the diver was described as a novice in good health,but no names were given.
They were in 90fsw searching the wreckage of an oil rig 20 miles east of Ocracoke Island with a team of 10 divers & was chartered by a group called the Wade Pryor Divers.
I dont know what happened , but it appears as something in the buddy system broke down & the last time he was seen was at bottom.
I just pray that the currents carried him & he will be found floating by the massive search by the Coast Guard from Elizabeth City as well as the Marine Corp from Cherry Point, N.C.

That's him, Richard Pryor from New Market, Md. I haven't heard yet if he's been found. All prayers would be appreciated. Any news would be also.

Diver reported missing off of Ocracoke

08/28/2005

Associated Press

The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a Maryland man who was reported missing while diving about 20 miles off the coast here on Saturday.

The family of Richard Pryor, 34, of New Market, Md., said Pryor did not surface from a 90-foot dive with the rest of a 10-person dive crew searching a submerged oil rig. He was last seen about 11 a.m. and had about 45 minutes of oxygen left in his tanks, the Coast Guard said.

The Coast Guard said a search for Pryor went into Saturday night and was slated to resume on Sunday.

Hopes and prayers are with him and the family. We were diving out of Morehead City with Olympus on Saturday as well. Rough seas, current, and surge were the words of the day at the Aeolus and the Indra.

The last that I have heard is, there has still been no recovery. Conditions were very rough yesterday. A premlinary report,from someone that is diving at Hatteras this weekend, that I heard is that both divers were on the hang line and the son didn't surface. Searches were continuing but nothing more than that.

Surges and currents were very bad. A couple of divers told me that they got knocked off hang lines and were lucky to be able to get back to them.

I made an effort to go out of Ocracoke Saturday on my personal boat the the seas were from 4 to 6 foot about every 2 to 5 seconds. I stayed on the sound side the rest of the day. This was a very bad day to be diving in the low vis waters of N.C.. I wish the best for the diver and the family.

Does anyone know any information on the two divers that died around frying pan shoals a few weeks ago? Please send me a direct message if so!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom