mirrorless suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not consider the TG6?
I have the TG-6 and the 059 housing. It's fine but the lack of real manual control is an issue. It's also not possible to fit a prime lens on, I would need to verify zoom on every outing. I think it is a great basic dive camera and a great value, but optically it's not quite where I want to be either.

Why do you want mirrorless? That seriously ups the price.

Why do you want mirrorless? That seriously ups the price.
I'm looking to split the performance/size/price differences between point & shoot like the TG-6 and a DSLR, plus some of this will be done on a scooter so I want to avoid any vibration sensitivity.

Understood. But a mirrorless is not the only thing in-between P&S and DSLR. For example, the Canon G7XIII.
Do you need interchangeable lenses? You mentioned a "prime," which is often not very useful u/w, due to its lack of coverage. Are you doing reef scenes? Often you need a wide-angle just because of poor visibility. Do you need fast lenses, with ambient light, or will you be supplying the light?

Prime just means fixed focal length. I'm hoping to make the set-up easily repeatable.

Prime just means fixed focal length. I'm hoping to make the set-up easily repeatable.
Prime also often means "standard focal length," i.e. the lens is about the diagonal of the frame, so 50mm for standard 35mm equivalent. 50mm is too long u/w; 28 is better, 17 or 24 even better.

Prime also often means "standard focal length," i.e. the lens is about the diagonal of the frame, so 50mm for standard 35mm equivalent. 50mm is too long u/w; 28 is better, 17 or 24 even better.
@tursiops, I have never understood "prime" to mean anything but "fixed focal length"--at least in land photography. Is your interpretation relatively new?

rx7diver

@tursiops, I have never understood "prime" to mean anything but "fixed focal length"--at least in land photography. Is your interpretation relatively new?

rx7diver
Not new. Old. Terms change. 24x36mm (now called full frame) used to be called double-frame, because the standard frame size for movue cameras (where the 35mm film came from) was 18x24mm.

In my understanding a prime lens is a fixed focal length lens. One of the lenses I use with my Sony/Nauticam A6400 is a fixed focal length 19mm, a prime lens.

OP, you say you have a budget but do not say what that is. UW photography at anything above the point and shoot (TG6) level is not an undertaking where the word budget get along very far.

You might look at the Sony RX series that have a one inch sensor and fully manual capability and several wide angle lens options (wet attach lenses). I like the OM cameras but I am concerned at the time I bought my Sony thta OM was not long for the world. I am hopeful they pull through to profitable status. As far as price point between OM M4:3 cameras and Sony APS-C camera, it is a wash.

Well, good luck.
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom