Minnesota Waters... Brrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I started the thread in the Meet & Greet, or was it Introductions? :wink: - but I know I should move it here... :cool2: What I am wondering is what gear should I get? :confused: I've been unemployed for 2 years :( and have been working again for 2 months now. :coffee: This summer I'm FINALLY starting on the different certifications that I'll need, so I can begin Dive Master Training (PADI) in October. :D

What that all means is I'm broke, :( but diving is my obsession. So I would like to start with a wet suit (7mm?), and save for a dry suit (and training) as the fall comes. There is a Drysuits Unlimited (DUI) DUI Demo Days Tour in August where I can save for a suit and training by then - and still be able to take part of any fall dives. :acclaim:

Question (to pull out of the world of too many words...) :
What wetsuit (and add ons) do you all reccomend for a 5'2" (ahem) CURVY female?

All of my diving to date has been tropical (Bali, Cancun, Hawai'i) so I only have a 3mm suit. So I'm definately open to suggestions... Meanwhile - I'm off to have my gear serviced, and prepped for a summer of FRESH WATER (gasp!) diving!!

Hello, fellow Minnesotan here! Unfortunately, I can't say too much about what thickness you will want, because I'm not certified yet (this summer!), but I wanted to say hi.

What dive shop do you go to? I would suggest asking there, since they would know the local waters. If you are around the Brainerd area, MN School of Diving is pretty good. If you are anywhere near Fargo, talk to Duane at Mick's Scuba. He's kind of my go to guy with gear questions. I don't know much about other mn shops, although when I stopped in the one in Maple Grove once, it seems pretty nice. Good luck!

A 7 mil or 7 mil Farmer John/Jane are fairly common for diving here, especially in the northern part of the state where you are. The Cuyuna mines around Crosby/Ironton which are not to far from you offer some of the best diving in the state with water temps in the high 40 degree range at 60' and below.

As mentioned MSD is in Brainerd, they also have a shop in St Cloud. The closest LDS in the cities is probably AquaVenture Dive and Photo Center gust out side Osseo MN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom