Miniseason 05: GREAT shore-hunting conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
If conditions hold - and they have been GREAT for the last week - tomorrow should be a very good day for hunters but not for bugs.

So who's going where & what are you using?

I'm taking the morning off to do north LBTS with a snare. I may also pile a net & stick on top of the BIG YELLOW float, and am seriously considering taking a spear as well for fish. Tanks have 40% and I'm expecting to have crawfish omlettes for breakfast!

Hmmmm, was thinking of takin a yak down to my usual haunting grounds off Oakland Park ... buggin gear en total.

I'm planning on hitting a few spots off Hollywood.

I now carry a spare gauge. I ended up losing a gauge last year and I realized I could be ticketed for not having one on me if I got stopped coming out of the water with my lobstering gear.

I'm using a snare, I started using one last year, they make lobstering easy.

Just a reminder, license has to be with you.

What are the dates of the miniseason?

I'm going out on Thursday to pick up the stragglers. With the Diversity out of Boca Raton. Hopefully I'll have an experienced buddy....

DennisS:
Just a reminder, license has to be with you.

Like, in the water with you or on the boat?

paulwall:
I'm going out on Thursday to pick up the stragglers. With the Diversity out of Boca Raton. Hopefully I'll have an experienced buddy....

Like, in the water with you or on the boat?

If you're beach diving, in the water with you. If you're boat diving, on the boat.

Tentative schedule for the next 52 hours:

00:00 Dive with Kevin in Boynton Beach

05:30 Dive with Splashdown in Boynton

10:00 Dive with dude I met at Sports Authority this afternoon

15:00 Dive with Splashdown in Boynton

19:00 Sleep

Thursday
05:00 Mystery beach dive in Broward County

10:00 Boynton Beach

15:00 Boynton Beach

21:00 final dive of season at LBTS

I'm limiting out(hopefully), then diving for fun and showing others some tips and techniques. If anyone wants to make some plans, Thursday isn't set in stone yet.

Jamie

Shore conditions held and it was a beautiful morning!

We prepared by snorkeling last night to see how it looked. They were everywhere and not very concerned, either. It seems that they had something going with BSO, because as soon as we hit the beach then went through our gear to make sure we weren't poaching early.

Next morning we hit the water about 7 am. By then the carnaige had already been pretty much completed. In my best spots all I found were arms & antennae!

So, it turned into a pleasure dive and we saw a lot of life... nurse shark, eels, turtle and the ususal reef fish. I shot a grunt and a porkfish because I've heard the plentiful grunts are good eating... we'll see tomorrow night (mo-in-law made SAUCE for tonight).

We turned, disappointed but happy having been in the water. On the way in we hit a small patch with a nice coralhead - four lobster peeking out like it wasn't their season or something. They made the dash back in and no coaxing or patience would draw them back out.

BUT we were in the zone... another coral head a few yards north and we (er... my dive buddy, a 15-year old on his first hunt) got the largest lobster I've seen in the LBTS shore-dive zone since moving here... we took one more, left three go because they were too small, and headed home.

BUT, not before I took a blind shot at a grouper that dashed into a hole... I hit him in the head - thankfully because he would have been too large to drag out fighting. I hit another large one on the way in, and that concluded our hunt.

We cleaned up while the girls made fresh lobster omlettes for breakfast and. Though we probably won't head out tomorrow for the second day, I'm looking forward to the season and a few more lobster omlettes!

Well, I only made 5 dives today instead of following the plan. Two of the dives were just for fun. Limit was reached and prepping some libations for me and tails for the grill.

I'm tired!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom