Minimum boat size for rigs / gardens.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the smallest private boat that you would feel safe in going to the rigs or Flower Gardens? Stories?

For that distance, the bigger the better! I will not set foot on anything smaller than 35-40ft and then only if the condition forcast is very good. I also much prefer a dedicated dive boat, not a fishing boat with no tanks racks or gear area.

Likewise..long way for a small boat....Anyone seen my phone book? Need to call Hue and reserve the yacht!

Seriously,8 mile limit rigs can be hit with a 20 - 30 on a rather calm day.Ive been out on a 20 ft proline in seas that started flat and were 8-12 on the way in..that was a 3 hour 8 mile slam you to the deck ride..good luck.

3dent:
What's the smallest private boat that you would feel safe in going to the rigs or Flower Gardens? Stories?

Hello 3Dent,

Fishing or diving the rigs and the Flower Gardens or Stetson Bank are two completely different things.

What you are talking about involves a lot of variables. At any rate, one can safely dive and fish the rigs to about 40 miles in a good seaworthy boat 25-30 foot length. Boat design and captain experience are paramount. Weather knowledge and excellent navigational skills are a must. After all, that boat is your ride home. Once you get to the rigs, assuming you're with a good skipper/diver, one must also have the skills to dive from a small boat and a good knowledge of rig diving. Viz and the gulf rotary currents are pretty unpredictable.

Flower Gardens? You need to be on something that can handle pretty heavy weather. It comes up pretty quick and 100 miles is a long way home. Personnaly, I now try to stay with boats in about the 80 to 100 foot class. Ones that I can sleep on, eat good food, rest and enjoy the other company. Oh, and take a warm shower! And of course, dive!!

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom