minimalist bcd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's cuz you're a rock herman! It overweights me too actually... I'm about neutral in a 5mm wetsuit anyway, so wearing an AL plate with a steel 72 overweights me.
Also on this subject, this vintage style is not for everyone and may or may not get you scoffed at and some dive ops will require an inflation device of some sort, and while it is truly the most sleek and minimalist of the lot, it can be limited. If you need thick exposure protection you can't dive without a wing because you need depth compensation when your wetsuit goes from 20lbs of lift to 10, you're gonna sink like a brick

0ae20430.jpg

19d07db0.jpg

Does that look minimal enough?

0ae20430.jpg

Does that look minimal enough?

Nice kicks! Chucks?

Yup, used them for a long time, and they worked great!

Personally, I'm a fan of the old horse collar BC with an old style backpack. I have a jacket, but I don't care much for the bulk. I had a wing, but didn't really like it, either. The horse collar fits my kind of diving perfectly. I keep my weighting to just what I need and I don't use a BC underwater, just on the surface if needed. Once I submerge, I forget the horse collar is even there. If I decided to go back to the old school way, I leave it in the truck.

I primarily use a depth gauge and watch and plan my dives using tables. I have a computer but seldom use it. I prefer the old way.

As for weights, I have eliminated the weight belt I was using by attaching weight pockets on the waist belt of the backpack. That converts my backpack into a weight integrated system and simplifies my gear. If I should need to dump weights, I can just open the pockets and drop the weights.

If you decide to lose the octo, make sure those diving with you are trained in the old-fashioned buddy breathing techniques.

Last edited:
I use a Zeagle Stainless BP&W (scubatoys w/SB discount), with their Zeagle inflator/Octo. Its one step above a Hog 1 piece, but I like having the chest strap and unclippable shoulder straps. For a rec diver, in a rescue situation, its easy to get off without cutting my webbing. For weighting, I use a DUI weight and Trim, but that is because I dive in the NW with a steel tank, so need some weight.

Ain't tech diving . . . just saying. And yes, Jarrod would lose his lunch.

The lowest drag BC ever made is the FENZY (see avatar pic).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom