Mini Trip Report - Crystal River 2/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our dive shop ran a trip to Crystal River last weekend on which I divemastered, hered the people, captained a boat, etc. Didnt see many Manatees that day, but other than wind, it was a nice day. A couple of boats got loose and were blowing around, and I did have to jump in and help someone swim back to the boat, but nothing else too interesting happend. Well, except my digicam got dunked, an no longer works. I did have my UW film camera, and here are some pics from that.

http://northfloridadiver.net/media/crystal206.htm

20920019.JPG

jviehe, I am surprised you could scuba dive while manatees are around - thought it's illegal? I may be wrong. Let me know! I will be snorkeling with the manatees this coming Wednesday, knowing that I can't scuba dive.

ScubaJW:
jviehe, I am surprised you could scuba dive while manatees are around - thought it's illegal? I may be wrong. Let me know! I will be snorkeling with the manatees this coming Wednesday, knowing that I can't scuba dive.
No law against it that Im aware of.

I managed to salvage my digital camera pics. If you click on the oroginal link, there are more pics now.

ScubaJW:
jviehe, I am surprised you could scuba dive while manatees are around -
thought it's illegal?

nope, perfectly legal to scuba and snorkel with them... manatees ARE
a protected species, so you can't "molest them" (don't chase them, poke
them, interfere with their eating, sleeping, etc.)

also, they have "roped off" manatee sanctuaries where you cant go.
rangers take it really seriously if you go in there. fines.... no good... ouch

it's actually a lot easier to snorkel with the manatees. they don't seem to
like the sound of scuba bubbles and breathing

eyebrow

You can dive with them but approaching them is a no-no. My instructor was diving down there a couple of years ago and there was a newly weaned manatee trying to nurse on divers. A buddy pair that was there when they arrived told her they were glad to see her because it wouldn't leave them alone, it was grabbing inflator hoses, octos, anything that was dangling. My instructor was taking video of it and it came up and tried sucking on her video lens--made for an interesting video.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
You can dive with them but approaching them is a no-no.

yup... going after them is "molesting them," and against the rules.

this usually isn't a problem, as the manatees will come to you.

it's ok to pet them and hang out with them if they approach you. you just
can't go chasing after them.

Wow thank you guys for the information! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom