Mini tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am certified and I'm looking at some of these mini tanks. Allow about 5-10mins of useage. For two reasons; backup air source for regular diving and for snorkeling at some Florida Springs. I am planning to go to Ginnie Springs in Oct with some friends. I will meet some dive buddies there, but friends are not certified so we might try to snorkel there as well. Since they are fairly close, might also try to scuba/snorkel at Blue Grotto and Devil's Den

From what I see with some of these mini tanks, you can fill them with a hand pump, but reviewers are saying its hard and takes a while. I did see one person say they got an adapter from the manufacturer to use with their compressor. I have a small bike compressor. Could I use an adapter with this? Or is there another compressor that needs to be used? Just wondering

I am certified and I'm looking at some of these mini tanks. Allow about 5-10mins of useage. For two reasons; backup air source for regular diving and for snorkeling at some Florida Springs. I am planning to go to Ginnie Springs in Oct with some friends. I will meet some dive buddies there, but friends are not certified so we might try to snorkel there as well. Since they are fairly close, might also try to scuba/snorkel at Blue Grotto and Devil's Den

From what I see with some of these mini tanks, you can fill them with a hand pump, but reviewers are saying its hard and takes a while. I did see one person say they got an adapter from the manufacturer to use with their compressor. I have a small bike compressor. Could I use an adapter with this? Or is there another compressor that needs to be used? Just wondering
No "mini" tank will give you that much time. My 13cf will give me 10-15 minutes and that's only at 15 feet. These sales gimmicks are good for a few full breaths at best. They should not be used while snorkeling due to barotrauma injury potential. Stay away from them.

Just get a 19 or 30 and take that with you if you must maintain small footprint.

This is what I thought of when I read the title.

Attachments

• 20240809_151713.jpg
    20240809_151713.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 57
Do not use any compressor that is not rated for breathing air, this can be very dangerous!

Mini tanks are a marketing gimmick that any serious diver/snorkeler should avoid for so many reasons.

Scuba diving requires training for a reason, do not give a "mini" tank to an untrained person as this is also very dangerous. If they take a breath at 15' and realize the tank is near empty, they will naturally hold their breath to the surface and will be in real trouble! Most people do not know of this hazard! Snorkelers breath at the surface and trained divers breath at depth, don't mix and match unless you are trained.

For some reason, there's equipment that does both scuba AND schnorkelating! Wit a tiny tank and full-face mask! What could possibly go wrong?!?

I think they called it the Scubacider.

1723302387398.png

Plain snorkel configuration or real SCUBA kit, those are the sensible choices.

The picture above is alarming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom