Mini Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the gooch

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone want to plan a beach/night dive for the begining of mini season? I know the spot that I did last weekend was crawling with bugs and would be a good beach dive for bugs. I would love to get out there the first hours of the 26th. (Tuesday night around 11:30 p.m. meet up and in water at midnight). If no one can do that early/late I would be up for first thing Wednesday morning say around 7 a.m. Anyone avail?

the gooch actually with my club ( college) we are actually doing a beach dive that night..

I asked the rest of the guys/gals and they don't mind SB members going, it would actually make it more fun :)

What day are you doing the beach dive and what time exactly? Is anyone else gonna be hunting bugs?

actually we are doing an afternoon/evening dive on wednesday night.

as far as that tuesday.. letme check up and see I might do a night dive before I dive with the club hehe ( when the season opens :) )

Where are you diving? and what is involved in hunting bugs? I know you need a lisence, what about special gear? I've never hunted anything underwater, but I'm up for learning :)

ciret:
Where are you diving? and what is involved in hunting bugs? I know you need a lisence, what about special gear? I've never hunted anything underwater, but I'm up for learning :)

You need a license to fish for the critters , and as far as equipment you need a primary and a secondary light, and I think a strobe for emergencies

there is a light kit at diversdirect for like $110 which includes everything including the necessary hookups for your bc

License for sure. Lights only if we go at night (these could be rented from a shop if you do not want to buy them). Glove, tickle stick, measuring device and a bag are also a necessity(a lobster kit can be bought for around $20 and the license is around $15 total). I have not been in many, many, many years so I will be just like a newb out there but who cares.

I wanted to avoid all the people going out on the boats and do a beach dive. Debby, FastAttack and myself found a pretty promising location our last beach dive and I may go back there this weekend to survey the area again. I would love to do a night/beach dive the first hours of mini season (it starts 12:00 a.m. on the 26th). If I can not get any buddies to do that night then I would love to go out around dawn and the day after as well.

Well, I would love to try it, I do enjoy eating the little buggers. However, my work situation, which is what brings to SFL is in a state of extreme flux right now. Don't know if I'll make through the weekend :(
So, if anybody wants to do some shore diving this afternoon/evening or Fri, let me know.

some info from the net

Anyone familiar with Florida and diving knows that the Spiny Lobsters that are local to our waters are prized catches. They can reach up to 2 feet in length, weigh up to 15 pounds and can be found under nearly every rock close to shore. They're tricky to catch, though, and state laws regulating lobster harvest are strictly enforced by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FFWCC.) Violations are 2nd-degree misdemeanors and are punishable by up to $5,000 in fines and/or six months in jail, as well as possibly losing your dive gear. Make sure you know the law before you join the legions of Lobster Mobsters!
bullet

Regular lobster season begins August 6th at 12:01 a.m. and ends March 31 at midnight. There is a mini-season, which typically falls mid-week during the end of July.
bullet

Anyone planning to hunt lobster in Florida territorial waters must have a valid recreational saltwater license as well as a crawfish permit ($2.00) to catch lobster. One-year licensees for residents are $13.50, while non-residents can purchase 3-day ($6.50), 7-day ($16.50), or 1-year licenses ($31.50.) Active military personnel stationed in Florida are considered to be residents. Licenses are available through local tax collectors, many tackle shops, and marine supply stores.
bullet

The bag limit for Florida state waters (nine nautical miles into the Gulf of Mexico and three nautical miles off the Atlantic coast) is six lobster per person per day. During the mini-season, the bag limit in all Florida counties is 12 per person, per day. The exception to this rule is Monroe County (the Keys) that has a six lobster per person, per day limit year round.
bullet

Lobstering is always prohibited in Everglades National Park, Dry Tortugas National Park, Looe Key Sanctuary, Band some areas of Pennekamp State Park. Contact Pennekamp State Park at 305.451.1202 for more details.
bullet

No gear that could puncture the shell of lobster is allowed in your possession, including (but not limited to) spears, hooks, or wire snares.
bullet

You must have a measuring gauge on you at all times when you are hunting for lobster. The carapace (the main body) must be at least 3 inches in length to stay within legal size limits. Lobsters with a carapace under 3 inches must be freed unharmed.
bullet

Lobster must be of legal size before they are in possession. Remember: any lobsters in your catch bag in the water are considered in possession. For this reason, measure them before you place them in your bag.
bullet

You can be prosecuted for injuring any lobster while you are underwater- don't be one of those morons who try pulling them out of their holes by the antennae. Also, be extra careful not to bang into any coral or sponge while hunting lobster.
bullet

Egg-bearing lobster must be released unharmed. You can recognize the eggs by an orange, yellow, brown, or red mass found covering the bottom of the lobster's tail.
bullet

If you see any commercial lobster traps, give them wide berth: it is a felony to take lobster from commercial traps and those guys are not known for their sense of humor.
bullet

Monroe County (the Keys) has slightly different regulations, so download The Regulations for Recreational Harvest and Lobster Information for Monroe County in .pdf format here. For more information, see Chapter 68B-24, Article IV, Section 9, of Florida Constitutional Law.

IMPORTANT : If you witness or suspect a marine or wildlife law violation, report it to the FWC's Wildlife Alert Reward Program by calling 1-888-404-FWCC (3922). Wildlife Alert now offers rewards for reporting marine law violations, as well as boating under the influence. The telephones are answered 24-hours a day, seven days a week. You may remain anonymous and will not be required to testify in court. If your information results in an arrest, you will be eligible for a reward, usually ranging from $50 to $1,000, based on the severity of the case. It is important to report violations as soon as possible and provide as much detail as you can about the physical descriptions of violators, vehicles, license tag numbers, etc.

Well, the two (private) boats that I would be going out on are broken down and the owners don't anticipate fixing them by Mini-Season.

Looks like I'm beach diving. For sure Wednesday; Thursday maybe.

Anyone want to do a Tuesday night midnight beach dive? If so, do you know where it's legal to park on the beach after midnight in Broward County?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom