Mini Q-40 eLED+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went to drain the batteries in my UK Mini Q 40 eLed+. I turned it on and left it overnight. 12 hours later its still burning fairly bright. Turned it off and went to work. 12 hours later repeated the process. Got up this morning and there is still a beam from the thing. Granted, not very bright, but after almost 24 hours, it is still lit. Could it be enough to get someones attention at night if your floating someplace? It could be. This is a great backup lite in my opinion.

PS- I am using 2500mah rechargable energizers. They had been installed 3 weeks ago with a fresh charge.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. My wife, buddy & I all recently got that light as backups for an upcoming trip, so naturally I hope it's a winner!

Richard.

Yeah, I've got the same and am very happy with it! When fresh, it could probably be enough as a primary for night diving in the caribean! But I still use it as a backup, because I have a Sl4elead...

Very happy with both!

Cheers!

I have one too. It was the best 4 AA cell eled light I could find for about $25 at the time I bought it. The bulb failed once for no reason, but UK sent me a replacement free of charge (except for the cost of shipping the broken bulb to them). I've also used it on the mask for photography during night dives - worked well. My only complaint is that there's no place at the back to tie a boltsnap to. I had to use a ziptie and piece of cave line to make one, but obviously it's a flimsy solution.

Attachments

• backup light.jpg
    backup light.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 88
I agree. Incredible light, just horrid placement of the loop for purposes of tying on lanyards or bolt snaps. I had light issues with my Light Cannon HID a few months ago (read: idiot self forgot to charge the batteries from 2 months earlier, and the voltage wouldn't strike the bulb) and I still managed a decent dive with my backup. (Easy shore dive in 30 fsw and 10-15' vis, so I elected to continue despite the light outage)

*Floater*:
I have one too. It was the best 4 AA cell eled light I could find for about $25 at the time I bought it. The bulb failed once for no reason, but UK sent me a replacement free of charge (except for the cost of shipping the broken bulb to them). I've also used it on the mask for photography during night dives - worked well. My only complaint is that there's no place at the back to tie a boltsnap to. I had to use a ziptie and piece of cave line to make one, but obviously it's a flimsy solution.

Why don't you tie it to the light, run the line along the light and then use the ziptie to hold it in position. Granted not an ideal solution but it may be a stronger connection.

BTW, what is the plastic thing with buttons used for?

ams511:
Why don't you tie it to the light, run the line along the light and then use the ziptie to hold it in position. Granted not an ideal solution but it may be a stronger connection.

That would certainly be an improvement. I guess I've been considering using a steel clamp or something esle that's rugged to make the attachment a bit more permanent, but I haven't gotten around to it yet since the ziptie has worked fine so far. It would come off if I pulled hard on it, but generally it's not exposed to much force as it just rests there clipped to a d-ring, and even if it did the bike tire inner tube I use on the light would hold it in place for a while.

BTW, what is the plastic thing with buttons used for?

You mean the transparent thing? It's to attach the light to your mask strap.

Count me a member of the Q40+ fan club, talk about bang for the buck. I've been carrying mine in a similar fashion, but with cave (Actually wreck) line instead of a zip tie. It has suprisingly little slop, I think it helped that I wet the line before really cranking it down and tying tightly. It has worked out great, please pardon the brass snap :wink:

CODMAN:
Yeah, I've got the same and am very happy with it! When fresh, it could probably be enough as a primary for night diving in the caribean! But I still use it as a backup, because I have a Sl4elead...

Very happy with both!

Cheers!

Codman-- the Q40 Eled PLUS (not regular) model is actually a little bit brighter than the SL4 eLED. The difference is the SL4 batteries will give 10 hours full brightness vs. 3.5. But, AA batteries are so much cheaper than C's....

Back
Top Bottom