Mini Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanomad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I plan on buying several smb's that use inflation bottles. Looking at the Dive Seekers, APD, and Aquatec Mother buoy. The mini bottles and din valves seem to be hard to come by. I have only seen them offered by APD. Does anyone know a source in the US for these? .1 and .4 liters. Preferably DOT marked ones. I have a few new old stock Catalina Cliffdiv bottles that have the 14mm threading. Marked m207, ew0029069. Not sure what size they are but looking for any affordable options.

Remember, they aren't DIN, they are backwards DIN so you can fill them off of your main cylinder. I'm guessing it's something proprietary from AP.

Right. Aquatek has some old stock valves for like $7 that are exactly that. I think they come in 14mm and 18mm with the "reverse" din valve. Bottles are about $80 ea though and I intend on getting 6. Just hoping to find a lower cost but may have to fork over the cash and get it over with. $1200 on a half dozen lift bags is hard to swallow.

Out of curiosity, why so many? I have one attached always to my scooter in a vain attempt to save it if it floods at depth, or if I have to abandon it for some reason it gets its own BC, just twist the valve and unclip the harness and we'll find it later.

I harvest black coral and my bottom times are very limited. I dive solo and carry 3-4 72s for wtf days. Plus push a Genesis. I'm not willing to sacrifice mix for lift and am over carrying an extra bottle of air. Plus the drag from the coral means you have to get the bags nasa launch ready or they drift too far by time they hit the surface. Its a matter of saving bt minutes and gaining confidence that the hard work makes the surface.

There are some paintball bottles that might be able to be adapted. Something I've thought of looking into.

I would look into getting some aircraft life jackets that are out of their expiry date and having a good look at the CO2 firing system. im pretty sure it can be DIY'ed into the bottom of a open lift bag quite easily, those canisters are small and easily obtainable. No idea if they will deliver enough gas for the lift but cant hurt to try

Any links to the paintball ones?
Im more into the air ones so I can easily refill rather than the co2.
Was looking at the Spare Air and Aqualung Egress bottles but dont know the threading on them. There seems to be plenty surplus of them out there. APD mini cylinder valves appear to be m14 for .1l and m18 for .35 and .4l. but are $55 per valve. They do have parts kits available which is nice though. Ben at Aquatec has some bottle that are US DOT m18 3.2 cu' for $60. That isnt too bad. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet at $115 per bottle plus $75 per bag. This life style never gets cheaper:wink:

I understand that the paintball and Spare Air cylinders both use a 5/8"-18 UNF thread.

The difficulty would be getting a usable valve. I've never played paintball, but I understand that the paintballers by and large use valves with integrated regulators. Maybe one of those would work if the SMB were adapted to accept it. It would be possible to turn down a standard SCUBA valve on a lathe and rethread it for 5/8"-18. Whether the result would be safe or not I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom