Mine shaft dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rtkane:
Like the others... I'd love to hear more about this if it happens. Regardless, if I was scanning through the cable guide and I saw this as a special on the Discovery channel or the like, I'd be all over it. Just picture it: 8pm - Abandoned Mine Diving

Since there seem to be a few that are interested...if I hear from the original poster and anything at all happens, I'll write up a trip report at the very least even if we look it over and decide not to get in the water. I've been known to do that in icky Kentucky caves, BTW. I've dived some and chose to sit and drink beer waiting for divers that chose to dive when I chose not to. A weekend at a Kentucky cavers field house is fun even if you don't dive. LOL

If the property owner agrees we'll write a dive report and include whatever he'll agree to have included such as maps, artifact finds ect. I say with the property owners agreement because some folks want to keep info regaring what's on their private property to themselves.

But...I haven't heard from him so at this point it's just a fun thread. Oh BTW, I think the clanging sound reefraff heard was comming from some one else cuz I'm one of the more reserved divers in our "group". My wife now, she'll dive just about anything and enjoy it as long as she has rock over her head preventing her from getting run over by a boat.

mike,,,the mine shaft is on my fathers land,,we are useing the water that naturally flows out of the shaft to keep a pond we dug,,full of water...We recently added timbers to raise the level of the water flow to the new pond,,we raised it about 3 feet..
The shaft is ringed with railroad ties,,as far as we can see down...they appear to be in good shape,,,as I spiked the new ties,,into the old ties..
As stated it is 8 by 15 feet..and you would have a very clean,nice entry point...
There is a pole barn,,that has been finished off,,with a woodstove,and a tv,and frig
in it,,along with 4 bunk beds..that you would be welcome to use..
I can give you our actually address,,,I would like to be around to watch,,I am not a diver,,but am a advid history buff...
I was told that they left the old water pumps (steam powered) in shaft...
I know you will find two shovels and one new hammer,(dropped my accident)
past that,,I do not know...
I can be reached at 608-516-1654 work cell phone....
or 608-522-4601 home phone...
We would have no issue with sharing the info on the mine,,,whatever you would be able to find...it is a part of history,,preserved becouse of its inassability....
if you want,,I can get some pics of the mine entrance,,and post them...
Thanks dennis pierce

Thanks Dennis,

I'll give you a call. In the mean time it would be great if you could post some pictures of the entrance.

Back
Top Bottom