Mike Brady AKA MB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
On Thanksgiving day, November 26, 1998 I arrived early in the morning at Amoray Divers in Key Largo to dive with five other people, four of whom I’d never before met in person. I knew them from an online dive forum called Rodale’s SCUBA Diving, a message board sponsored by a print magazine about diving.

That was the day I met Rachelle Ackerman (LA Sea Turtle), her sister Fran (I don’t remember her screen name), Robert Moo Young (Moo), and Michael Brady (MB). I had met Jerry Driscoll on some dives near Sharkey’s Pier at Venice Beach about two weeks prior on the 13th.

We made two dives that day as a group of six, first at Molassas Reef and then at French. On the first dive we discovered three of us – MB, Moo, and I knew a limited amount of American Sign Language (ASL) which made it easier for us to communicate during the dive. Moo posed us all for a photo near the winch and during the dive, I found a lobster molt which I dropped on Jerry’s head. He pretended it was eating his face. Everyone was playful throughout the dive and we all had a grand time.

On the second dive, every time I looked at MB he was laughing.

Both dives were extremely enjoyable and after the dives we found an open restaurant and enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner together.

That was the beginning of wonderful friendships. Not long after that, the Diverlink forum opened and we migrated over there, sometime after that this forum opened and we came here.

Over the years, Mike Brady became one of my dearest friends, someone who always has my respect as a diver, as a dive instructor, and as a human being. His sense of humor always increased the fun at any get together. We dived together frequently and I always enjoyed his company.

Mike passed away Thursday night. The world is a sadder place today.

Attachments

• MB at Paradise.jpg
    MB at Paradise.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 131
  • MB standing on the stairs.jpg
    MB standing on the stairs.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 3MUSKETEERS.JPG
    3MUSKETEERS.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 125
RIP MB

{in shock} MB was a longtime dive friend. I also met him thru D2D, then Diverlink and sometimes here. I'd catch up with him at BHB as he taught and always in the seminars at DEMA since he had an equal thirst to learn the latest research tips. A huge heart and willing to help other divers. The picture below is when he had an open house dinner party, with us laughing as a golf ball from the course behind his yard crashed into his pool area. I never saw the guy mad, always smiling. MB was very well known in the SE FLA dive community and will be deeply missed. @Ana , @Zieg , @Scuba_Jenny

DSC01974.JPG

Sorry for your loss

@Walter My condolences on the loss of your friend and dive buddy.

Sad to read this. I did a nitrox course with Mike many years ago. Very kind man.

{in shock} MB was a longtime dive friend. I also met him thru D2D, then Diverlink and sometimes here. I'd catch up with him at BHB as he taught and always in the seminars at DEMA since he had an equal thirst to learn the latest research tips. A huge heart and willing to help other divers. The picture below is when he had an open house dinner party, with us laughing as a golf ball from the course behind his yard crashed into his pool area. I never saw the guy mad, always smiling. MB was very well known in the SE FLA dive community and will be deeply missed. @Ana , @Zieg , @Scuba_Jenny

View attachment 696251
I can't see who most of the folks in this photo are, but I recognize the blonde lady, that's Denise (Den) from the UK on one of her many visits to Florida.

Thank you Walter for starting this thread.
Words escape me what I want to write. Everytime I try, it's just hokey and weird. So I write from the heart.

I met MB here on the board when we were both MODs. Eventually we started diving together. Lots of fond memories of Sunday church Service about 100 yards off shore, in 17ft water. One time the group met up at BHB for Sunday Service. It was funny how he attracted the most interesting people. All I remember is this woman who may or may not be experiencing real life, approach us as we were putting fins on, and she went from one person to the next wading in the water delivering her own special sermon. Somehow she stopped at MB. (Let's go MB! Just walk away!.. But I think he was enjoying it, the weirdness of it all).

Often breakfast afterwards, or if later in the day Mexican. He taught my daughter and later her friend OW, and I took a couple classes from him also. We would spend an afternoon shooting the breeze while VIPing tanks. I always learned someting.
HIs sense of humor was oddball and quirky and silly. HC and I would be leaving his house shaking our heads wondering how the heck this super smart, articulate, well educated person would or could watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "Excellent" was his response.

Missing you buddy. Good viz, calm seas, and lots of plankton to emulate, my friend.

1640140760458.png

1640140943645.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom