Might this have been a very mild state of nitrogen narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all, I just have a question about a strange experience that happened to me today on my second ever salt water dive. I was wondering if it could have been the beginning stages of nitrogen narcosis. The first dive was at a max depth of 56 ft with and average of 50 ft for 45 minutes with a 01:30:00 surface interval. The second dive was a max depth of 42 feet for 45 minutes. At about 40 min I started to notice that my vison was getting "brighter" and my head had a vague sensation of giddiness very similar to the effects of inhaling nitrous oxide. I had no loss of coordination or motor skills and in fact I thought to myself that it might be nitrogen narcosis so I went up to a shallower depth. I stayed there for a minute or so and then went back down and the same sensation came over me. I decided that I wasn't going to take a risk with whatever was going on because I felt "different" so I came to the surface and got back into the boat before anyone else in my group. (For those who might criticize me for surfacing alone, it was a group dive and there were no assigned dive buddies which is probably not good). Everyone kind of went their own way but stayed as a general group. Anyway, when I got on the boat I told the divemaster about my symptoms and he said that there was no way I could have aquired nitrogen narcosis because nobody gets it at that depth and that it doesn't start until about 100 feet. I remember reading that it is more likely to occur at that depth but is it uncommon to occur at shallower depths? I feel fine now and felt fine when I surfaced but it just peaked my curiosity. Thank you for your feedback.

when I got on the boat I told the divemaster about my symptoms and he said that there was no way I could have aquired nitrogen narcosis because nobody gets it at that depth and that it doesn't start until about 100 feet

It starts as soon as you're breathing a narcotic gas underwater... most people don't notice any symptoms until ~100 feet, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Some people feel narc'd much shallower. Also if you get some CO2 build-up (due to heavy excercise, improper breathing etc) it will amplify any nitrogen narcosis present since CO2 is about 20 times more narcotic than N2

A wise choice to abort the dive when you have a feeling that something isn't right, no matter what it is.

Assuming your gear was all working properly and your suit (especially around the neck) fits right then brightening of your vision makes me think about dehydration more than nitrogen narcosis. I don't know why it would be related to depth, though. Anyway, the only time I've ever had anything similar was during long distance running so that's why I'm thinking dehydratoin.

As a general advice I would say double check your gear to make sure it's working right, and go slow on your next dive. Also I recommend paying some attention to breathing. Make sure you are taking good breaths (not too shallow or too fast) and make sure especially that you *exhale* enough before inhaling again. Go slow go slow go slow.

R..

Hi all, I just have a question about a strange experience that happened to me today on my second ever salt water dive. I was wondering if it could have been the beginning stages of nitrogen narcosis. The first dive was at a max depth of 56 ft with and average of 50 ft for 45 minutes with a 01:30:00 surface interval. The second dive was a max depth of 42 feet for 45 minutes. At about 40 min I started to notice that my vison was getting "brighter" and my head had a vague sensation of giddiness very similar to the effects of inhaling nitrous oxide. I had no loss of coordination or motor skills and in fact I thought to myself that it might be nitrogen narcosis so I went up to a shallower depth. I stayed there for a minute or so and then went back down and the same sensation came over me. I decided that I wasn't going to take a risk with whatever was going on because I felt "different" so I came to the surface and got back into the boat before anyone else in my group. (For those who might criticize me for surfacing alone, it was a group dive and there were no assigned dive buddies which is probably not good). Everyone kind of went their own way but stayed as a general group. Anyway, when I got on the boat I told the divemaster about my symptoms and he said that there was no way I could have aquired nitrogen narcosis because nobody gets it at that depth and that it doesn't start until about 100 feet. I remember reading that it is more likely to occur at that depth but is it uncommon to occur at shallower depths? I feel fine now and felt fine when I surfaced but it just peaked my curiosity. Thank you for your feedback.

and make sure especially that you *exhale* enough before inhaling again.

you get some CO2 build-up

I agree with them. It sounds like a classic CO2 "hit" to me. I've been diving a lot lately with a bunch of friends that are just recently certified. Some of them have had the same complaint. Making sure to exhale completely (to make sure you aren't retaining CO2 in your lungs) will solve the problem if that's what it is.

Jeff

Hello TracyN :

This is likely carbon dioxide or a tight neck seal. [1] Your depth is very shallow and [2] nitrogen narcosis comes on very rapidly – not after 40 minutes.

Dr Deco :doctor:

CO2 seems more likely, though we once knew this very large french man who would come and dive after his 12 hour night shift. He would get narced at 18m from a combination of excess weight and extreme exhaustion.

Thanks for the response guys. After reading these posts I think it was most likely a buildup of CO2 because I was trying to control my buyoancy with my breaths and there were many times that I exhaled shallowly and didn't inhale as deeply. It didn't affect me on my first dive because I had proper weight. On this dive I had lost my right weight pocket and didn't realize it until I got to the surface when I found out that I couldn't maintain my safety stop.

Back
Top Bottom