Miflex hose switch-over...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So finally had the chance to swap out all of my LP hoses for Miflex hoses that I picked up at my LDS, and dive with them in both single and doubles configurations.

- 7' long hose
- 22" alternate hose
- 22" quick-disconnect inflator hose
- 29" drysuit hose

XSSQDH.jpg

Here's some initial thoughts:

Weight: The entirety of my regulator set-up is noticeably lighter, even just in my reg bag - which is actually easier to pack now too. Not enough to warrant the change-over in and of itself, but noticeable, and as much as I travel for work with my gear in tow this will be a benefit.

Routing: set-up for singles and doubles is bit easier, especially without any of the somewhat precarious bends required with certain regs in a doubles configuration. Short hose lays a lot nicer over the shoulder with no tugging to the right when using the alternate and less stress on the routing of the hose from the 1st stage.

Streamlining: the 7' primary hose lays flatter and neater than a standard hose, especially up around the neck and/or when not in use and clipped off. Tucks/stows nicely, not "floaty" at all. (Somewhat easier to deploy to an OOA diver as well.) For drysuit hose: 29" quick-release hose with a "Hose Hat" added is 7" shorter than a standard DUI drysuit hose and stays nicely right at your side; no getting hung up with anything else

Inflator hose: 22" quick-disconnect is perfect for doubles or singles rig. I had always had minor difficulties when using a standard 22" hose - either bending too harshly off first stage with doubles, or bowing on a singles rig due to excess length. I use a 12" corrugate hose on a standard elbow on both set-ups and the 22" Miflex is fine on either.

Based on a few dives with the hoses outlined above, I also plan on swapping out the hose on my stage bottle as well. Should be easier to deploy/stow.

They are also packed in descent sized little "dry bags" that come in handy for carrying paperwork, wallet, anything else you don't want to get wet out on a boat. Would I go out of my way for them just based on that? No, but there are a very nice add in.

Miflex Hoses

myflex1.jpg

Very cool. Have you come across any information regarding increased or decreased durability as opposed to regular hoses? What about regular old wear and tear. Always looking for ways to decrease weight for travelling.

Very cool. Have you come across any information regarding increased or decreased durability as opposed to regular hoses? What about regular old wear and tear. Always looking for ways to decrease weight for travelling.

I've only got a handful of dives on them, so no 1st hand experience. I know several folks who have 50+ dives over the last few months including NJ wrecks, plus the typical in/out of the truck, on/off the boat, etc, and the hoses still look like new.

That said, only time will tell as to the durability in the long run.

I thought that drysuit QD connectors were slightly different than BC connectors, and that it was a bad idea to use a BC hose on a drysuit inflator?

Is that wrong, or is there some way to adapt the miflex hose for drysuit?

The not floaty part sounds good. When I dive a long hose (always) without a tuck point like a light can, the long hose can wander a bit.

It makes me wonder if I can get away with a 7 ft on normal gear. Usually it is too long.

One other thing I wonder: are they flexible enough to not need a swivel on a simple underarm set up?

One other thing I wonder: are they flexible enough to not need a swivel on a simple underarm set up?

At the risk of generalizing, I'd say yes.

It makes me wonder if I can get away with a 7 ft on normal gear. Usually it is too long

I've changed all my LP hoses to miflex (wonder if they will bring out a HP hose?), but I haven't had a chance to dive with them yet (will do so in a couple of weeks)

But from what I've read, you can get away with a shorter hose compared to 'standard', due to their increased flexibilty - makes sense in theory

In other words, if you find a standard 7' hose too long, it may be worse with a miflex

I'll post again after I've got them wet and let you know what I think

Bad news is I don't think there is a length available between 7' and 5' (I dive single tank, so I have the 5')

So finally had the chance to swap out all of my LP hoses for Miflex hoses that I picked up at my LDS, and dive with them in both single and doubles configurations.

Based on a few dives with the hoses outlined above, I also plan on swapping out the hose on my stage bottle as well. Should be easier to deploy/stow.

Miflex Hoses

Quick update on the above: I have since the time of that post swapped out the hoses on my 40cf and 80cf bottles for 40" Miflex hoses, and find them much easier to deal with than standard hoses on both deploying and stowing.

All in all after 30 dives or so with the Miflex hoses I'm happy with the switch.

In other words, if you find a standard 7' hose too long, it may be worse with a miflex

I'll post again after I've got them wet and let you know what I think

Bad news is I don't think there is a length available between 7' and 5' (I dive single tank, so I have the 5')

Please do post about your experiences. I always want to hear more.

Finally found this thread...

Anyway, I did 10-15 dives with my new hoses, think they're great

Light, flexible, practically no drag on the second stage

Highly recommended if the additonal cost isn't a factor for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom