Middle age wreck found in Norwegian lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
vrak_005.jpg
vrak_001.jpg

October 10. 2006:

Divers from the local dive club Mjøsen Dykkerklubb stumbled across something that might just be the wreck of a boat from the middle ages in Lake Mjøsa... -Or the mid summer bon fire of Storhamar beach anno 1932... :D

The wreck was found by divers Reidar Harjo Johansen and Johan-Arnt Ludvigsen.

We have no real clue of what this just might be, except from a really old wooden wreck of a boat. We are about to find out exactly how old it is, as the Norwegian Maritime Museum have asked for and received a piece of it for a C-14 age analysis.

Although professional experts have exclaimed they will move mountains across Lake Mjøsa if this boat wreck ISN'T from the middle ages!!!
(So there went the good nights' sleep for a few weeks for us...)

Video and more pictures are published here: http://www.turut.no/wreck_lake_mjosa.htm

_________

KOMPRESSOR:
vrak_005.jpg
vrak_001.jpg

October 10. 2006:

Divers from the local dive club Mjøsen Dykkerklubb stumbled across something that might just be the wreck of a boat from the middle ages in Lake Mjøsa... -Or the mid summer bon fire of Storhamar beach anno 1932... :D

The wreck was found by divers Reidar Harjo Johansen and Johan-Arnt Ludvigsen.

We have no real clue of what this just might be, except from a really old wooden wreck of a boat. We are about to find out exactly how old it is, as the Norwegian Maritime Museum have asked for and received a piece of it for a C-14 age analysis.

Although professional experts have exclaimed they will move mountains across Lake Mjøsa if this boat wreck ISN'T from the middle ages!!!
(So there went the good nights' sleep for a few weeks for us...)

Video and more pictures are published here: http://www.turut.no/wreck_lake_mjosa.htm

_________

Wow ... It's obviously a boat. Something this cool could only happen in Europe.

R..

Yes, it's definitely a boat. And since I do know wooden boats can stand for ever in cold fresh waters, this boat IS really old... The water is only 4-7 degrees celsius down at this depth (100 ft).

Did you see the video?!

Diver0001:
I saw it and I'm jealous. :)

This is a great find.

Did you guys poke around for cargo?

R..

According to law it is prohibited, since this wreck is clearly more than 100 years old. We did take a sample for C14-tests, but only after directions from the national marine museum. It's in the mail to them as we speak. In some weeks we will have the results regarding age. Today and tomorrow this is front page news with my face in them in the local papers.... :D

Nice.

Actually we're lucky this didn't happen in Dutch waters. Destroying wrecks looking for cargo or even hauling the wreck away to the recycling for the scrap metal value is almost a national pastime down here.....

The worst ones don't give a rat's patoot about the law...

Congratulations! I'm sure glad this happened to you.

R..

Diver0001:
Nice.

Actually we're lucky this didn't happen in Dutch waters. Destroying wrecks looking for cargo or even hauling the wreck away to the recycling for the scrap metal value is almost a national pastime down here.....

The worst ones don't give a rat's patoot about the law...

Congratulations! I'm sure glad this happened to you.

R..

Well, if this really is a wooden wreck from the middle age I'm pretty sure whatever is hiding at to bottom of the silt really isn't much worth in money. But for our local history it would be a scoop. We have the ruins of a church buildt in the year 1100 in the area, and this site is actually were they got the rocks for building the church back then. I didn't say this boat is 900 years old!!! -But what if it is?! :D

Very interesting! I'm downloading the video now... That file is HUGE.

How deep is it?

rjack321:
How deep is it?
100ft (30 metres)
Awesome stuff Kompressor.

rjack321:
Very interesting! I'm downloading the video now... That file is HUGE.

How deep is it?

It's only 21 MB. Should be on a fast server as well. But perhaps others are downloading it at the same time, I don't know... It hit the fan here today. Front pages in the news and all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom