microdrive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
just bought a 1gb ibm microdrive ans as fate would have it i happened upon an articel that slammed it. they said that compared to the cf media cards teh microdrives write alot slower meaning i have to wait longer between shots. anyone have any experience with this?
ps- just got my pt015 from japan today, helluva thing.

While I don't have any direct experience with the microdrives, the 1gig model scored really well in write tests performed by DPReview. The link is a pretty good article comparing the different types of CF media (solid state & microdrives). The problem with a microdrive (and I mentioned this in another thread as well) is that it's a mechanical device, and as such it is more prone to failure than a solid-state unit. Microdrives also cannot sustain the same shock levels that a solid-state flash can and they have environmental limitations (altitude, humidity, etc.). The rigors of underwater photography make microdrives less suitable than solid-state media, at least in my opinion. Think of all the bumps that the camera has to withstand inside the rinse bucket and during water entry and the increased heat and humidity levels inside a housing with no ventilation. These conditions would lead to a premature failure of a mechanical device like a microdrive much sooner than for a chip.

Since you already made an investment in the microdrive, I very much hope that my concerns prove false in your case. If you chose to expand your capacity in the future, keep in mind that you can find a 1gig CF for about the same price as a 1gig microdrive if you look around. I can only imagine that prices will continue to drop. Good luck!

-Roman.

notablob's message (above) pretty well covers the issues about microdrives. As you can see by following the link below, I have invested considerable time and energy in digital pictures in the last 6 months. My first microdrive died almost immediately, but the replacement has been humming along quite reliably.

Don't know your camera type, but I recommend that you use a card reader to download to your computer, but use your camera to erase the pictures you have downloaded or to reformat the microdrive or a CF card. I killed a couple of cards trying to erase them on my computer. For long trips, it works great to download your cards at night and burn the pictures to a CD from your computer. That way, your pictures are saved in two places.

Good hunting

I checked your website....Do you like trains or what?!! Great photos....do you have any underwater photos or did I miss them?

Dee once bubbled...
I checked your website....Do you like trains or what?!! Great photos....do you have any underwater photos or did I miss them?

Hi Dee: Not yet, I'm still working on my scuba skills. I figure I need to be thoroughly competent at that before I start worrying about taking pictures. I sure want to get there eventually.

Yes, trains are lifelong obsession. Scuba could be next.

cheers

colonelchuck once bubbled...
Hi Dee: Not yet, I'm still working on my scuba skills. I figure I need to be thoroughly competent at that before I start worrying about taking pictures. I sure want to get there eventually.

Yes, trains are lifelong obsession. Scuba could be next.

cheers

It's great to hear you say that! I wish more people would wait until they had proficient diving skills before ever picking up a camera.

Until you start, in the meantime....
*Study the u/w photos you like and find out why it appeals to you. If you find out you prefer wide angle shots to super macro shots, it may help you decide what camera you'll buy/use and save you money in buying the proper lenses.
*Learn and train your eye for composition
*Listen to the rest of us ramble on and feel free to pick our brains for what we know...that's how most of us learned it! :wink:

I have a Canon S40 and 1 Gig Microdrive, they are about 1 year old and done maybe 100+ dives.

So far so good, no problems.

I download using the PCMCIA slot of my notebook, and delete from there too. The USB cable connection is very slow.

Is it faster or slower than CF cards, I really cannot tell the difference except when I use it for 30 second movie clips. These clips are huge files, hence the write speed begins to make a difference. I think the microdrive is faster, not super sure because I seldom use the CF card. But it does feel like it.

Then again maybe because the CF card has a lot smaller capacity, hence as it becomes full it takes longer to write in. Something like your PC slows down as your harddisk gets full because the system must spend more time scanning for available space. I am only guessing here.

davidlkh once bubbled...
I have a Canon S40 and 1 Gig Microdrive, they are about 1 year old and done maybe 100+ dives.

So far so good, no problems.

Ahh, a fellow Canon shooter! I use a D60 for my above water stuff and was wondering about what to shoot when I take a stab at underwater stuff.

I just got a Canon S45 so any S40 comments probably apply directly. Any advice as to housings, technique etc would be appreciated. Links would be great if you have some.

thanks

I am more of a Nikonos diver, and as I mentioned the S40 with WP-DC300 casing is only 1 year old.

Most of my photos are still film based, but I have slowly grown to appreciate the S40.

I do not have an external strobe like the DS125 or DS50. I just use the internal strobe for close up shots when I run out of film. I also use it for short movie clips.

For me when underwater, I set the white balance to florescent. Most of the time on f8 and allow the camera to decide the speed. Although I also do go into manual mode when I disagree with camera. The internal strobe also tends to overexpose the subject if it is reflective or has a lot of white, so I have to turn the flash EV down.

The flash gets blocked by the lens barrel and casing at the lower right hand corner, so make sure your subject is no where in that area. You can always just crop off the dark corners.

In my case, I am lucky enough to dive in relatively clear waters with visibility of about 30 feet to 100 feet. Since the subject is generally 1.5 feet to 6 inches away, I do not experience much back scatter.

If I use the S40 for scenery shots without an external strobe, it is HOPELESS! Of course if I go black and white or take wrecks, then that is quite OK. But with only 35mm wide angle, it really cannot give good scenery.

Hope this helps.

By the way, Canon also has a Underwater Photo Guide you can download for free.

As far as housing for the S45, Canon makes one. It's the same housing that is also used for S30 and S40. I've heard some very good things about it from those that have used it. Depth rating is limited somewhat, 100ft, but I've talked to people who have taken the Canon housings deeper than that (below 110') and they continued to work. As far as a strobe, you will definitely want to get one. I made almost 20 dives with my Canon G2 in an Ikelite using only the built-in strobe, and although I was able to get some nice shots, by about the 3rd or 4th dive I was wishing for an external strobe. Even in the close-up shots where the built-in flash was in range, I was wishing for more light. The little flash just can't paint the subject and the surrounding area as well and as evenly as a nice external strobe, even with a diffuser in place.

As far as technique, that'll only come with experience. Composition is very important. Many of the same rules that you'd use on land, will also apply underwater. The trickiest part is getting the exposure correct. That part is rather different from land shots. Play around with the different settings, and see what works best under the conditions. The beauty of digital is that you can see the result immediately and adjust on the fly. You can always ask questions here, or a couple of the other underwater digital photography sites. Digital Diver is one, and WetPixel is the other. Good luck!

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom