Michigan Solo Diver Drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hollywood703

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
07/26/2007

Breaking News, 1:15 p.m.

Diver drowns off Elmwood park

FROM STAFF REPORTS
TRAVERSE CITY — A Traverse City man drowned while scuba diving alone in West Grand Traverse Bay off Elmwood Township Park.
Divers found the body of Male XXX, 51, floating among moored boats off Elmwood Township Park around 5:45 p.m. Wednesday, Leelanau County sheriff's officials said in a statement.
Officials believe XXX likely walked into the waters from the beach alone sometime after 2 p.m., but are unsure exactly what caused him to drown.
XXX was pronounced dead at the scene after efforts to resuscitate him failed, sheriff's officials said.

Full Story:
http://www.record-eagle.com/2007/jul/26drown.htm

Wow...it seems like a lot of diver's are dying lately. Maybe I never heard about them before because I wasn't a part of this board until earlier this year. Is this normal or is this more than normal?

I was just thinking the same thing. Wierd.

emcbride81:
Wow...it seems like a lot of diver's are dying lately. Maybe I never heard about them before because I wasn't a part of this board until earlier this year. Is this normal or is this more than normal?

yeah... I kinda agree. lots of folks dieing out there.

I didn't see this reported anywhere on Scubaboard, but when I was in Key Largo last sunday, a diver died on Molasses Reef (as heard over the Marine VHF). There was a story in the Miami Herald about it on Tuesday. but little information besides that.

I dont want to be morbid, but with the number of people getting certified every year, that puts more people in the water, just raising the odds I guess. Another thing I have noticed (I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere, but the question was asked in this thread) but people are advancing with their diving a lot quicker than their skills. I see people taking tech classes that are in borrowed doubles, borrowed stage bottles and borrowed wings, getting certified to go 160 foot, but have a total of 12 training dives in tech gear.
(I apologize for my soap box)
Now, back to the point of the thread. Always sad to hear about the loss of another one of scuba family. The family and friends are in my thoughts.

mike_s:
yeah... I kinda agree. lots of folks dieing out there.

I didn't see this reported anywhere on Scubaboard, but when I was in Key Largo last sunday, a diver died on Molasses Reef (as heard over the Marine VHF). There was a story in the Miami Herald about it on Tuesday. but little information besides that.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=194157

there are certain schools certifing divers like factorys out there . lack of training or 1 to 1 training .
certs handed out on a 3 day holiday course are in my opinion are money spinning rackets .
these divers turn up on dive sites saying they are qualified . on 1 trip in done recently a dive to 40 meters i was buddied with a diver who had acquired 15 dives . i felt as a experienced diver that this was ridiculous .a diver going to this depth with little or no experience .
I informed the dive center and they removed him from the diving list . after that few dives what does he know about his own gear let alone mine .

Such losses are devastating for families and I can only extend sincere regrets to the family.

They may be wondering how such a thing can happen and, from personal experience, I can only say that even without details of an accident, people naturally try to analyze and speculate or even judge what went wrong to "learn". Working from only news articles or hearsay, this can only be speculation. If the family reads this board, they should know to take what is said with a grain of salt or as only very general observations. As more facts emerge, any analysis can change.

The following are observations by me alone and have nothing specific to do with this tragedy. They relate to the comment about a rise in deaths while scuba diving.

As one writer here observed, dive resorts and some schools have taken to running "dipolma mills" for scuba instruction (I think PADI even lets you do the course work on the internet - I could be wrong). This is because agencies make money off training divers. The more divers trained the more instructors are neede and have work teaching basic scuba and those expensive advanced classes.

Because terribly declining sales and competition from other sportsnappealing to youger people (kayaking, off-roadbiking, rock climbing, etc.) the numbers of people eligible to be students has declined. For some local shops, the goal seems to be less to create qualified divers as to sell them a bunch of equipment immediately after certification when they are still enthused. This is common in a lot of sports where people want to buy the most right after starting. After that, a small number stay at it and the rest give it up or turn into once a year vacation divers. Once certified, we all seem to regard it as being like riding a bicycle - it is something you never forget how to do. After all, you're "certified".

The dive industry is motivated to get as many people into diving as possible because the sale of scuba equipment by local shops is sliding. Internet sales are raping local shops - they have to train divers wherever they can be found and try to sell equipment to get them started. If they don't, they may never have a sale. They produce well qualified, inexperienced divers. Sadly, a few (perhaps very few) take this opportunity to maximize sales with less regard to encouraging training. One shop I know uses exactly this model. It gets students into the course, uses it tell them to buy an expensive package (very expensive) or they will die and then sells a Caribbean vacation.

After finishing the vacation, the gear goes in the closet (especially in an area of cold water where I live). They never use it again and 2 or 3 years later it pops up on ebay (cheap).

I have absolutely no reason to believe this observation is directly related to this incident. It is just a general observation as to why, at least anecdotely, it seems that diver deaths increase. There are other reasons that may be at work, i.e. wider reporting, internet communication, more attention to safety and so on. In terms of real statistics, DAN itself has trouble acquiring enough information to tell if deaths are really diving related or natural causes. They also have to search out knowledge of when accidents or deaths occur because not all are reported to them.

My purely pesonal opinion is that diving deaths may not be rising in absolute numbers. They may. however, be rising in relation to the percetage of trained divers. To really figure it out, a lot of unavailable data (maybe impossible to get) needs analysis. Some are the various levels of training, experience, types of experience, frequency of diving and so forth. Maybe this can be done. I am not qualified to say.

Again I can only say to the family that any death affects all divers. No one wants to lose a member of the dive community. Whatever the cause, every incident (accident or death) reminds us that diving is a skill that requires constant attention to remain safe. That applies to all divers, new and old (sometimes old divers may be the worst because they get too casual).

That is my thoughts. Again, I am very sorry to the family.

There should maybe be a new thread "What kills new divers" or something because there are some good points here worth raising that maybe don't belong under this accident but might be something some newer divers should read. Not that it's just new divers who die but we know it's one of the two groups at great risk.

I just walked to one LDS this weekend, and I was listening with horror what one new diver couple was planning. Sleepdiver described it fairly closely. There was a lot of enthusiasm and ignorance involved: Just because one is traveling somewhere where great diving is available does not mean you can dive it right of the OW course in brand spanking new gear.

I have also several times heard a new diver with 6-15 dives under their belt ask an instructor "Do you think I am ready for solo diving yet??" (And all these times the simple reason has been that the diver just hasn't got an "automatic" buddy but would have to work to find one).

I don't think there are really that much more divers dying than their have been in year past. I think the big difference is that we hear about more of them due to the prevalance of discussion boards and more and more news outlets being on line.

While I agree training standards aren't up to what they used to be, the deaths seem to be pretty evenly distributed between new and old divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom