Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espruell

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to vacation in Mexico this summer. Wondering where people thought the best diving is? Should be cavern certified by then. Thanks

No question....the best diving is in Cozumel for seeing a variety of sea creatures. However, we always book in Cancun. Plenty of night life if you are looking for that. Reefs are good with plenty to see, cenotes are a hour's trip south, and if I want to go to Coz, I just book the trip with the dive op I always use down in Cancun.

If you decide to go to Cancun, then check out Ben's website, www.mayanaquadive.com. Excellent operation.

espruell:
Looking to vacation in Mexico this summer. Wondering where people thought the best diving is? Should be cavern certified by then. Thanks
The four diving "meccas" in Mexico are: (1) Guadalupe Island, on the Pacific coast of Baja California, for cage "diving" with great white sharks; (2) Sea of Cortez, sites accessible via liveaboard or land-based ops out of La Paz, Loreto, or Mulege; (3) Cozumel, in the Caribbean; and (4) cenote diving on the Yucatan peninsula, about an hour's drive south of Playa del Carmen. What's "best" depends on the individual since the diving is vastly different in each of these four spots.

There is lesser quality diving off PDC and Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, the Pacific resorts of Puerto Vallarta, Oaxaca (Huatulco), Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo, or in the northern Sea of Cortez, and some decent cold-water diving just south of Ensenada.

Summer/fall is hurricane season in the Sea of Cortez/Pacific and in the Caribbean and it's generally hot everywhere. Those cenotes are probably some of the most comfortable spots around that time of year, were it not for the hot buggy jungle rides necessary to get there.

I have dove Cancun, Coz.playa del carman and most of the Sea of Cortez. Coz has great Vis. nice reefs. But to see more species of tropical fish Cabo San lucas is by far the Best.
Day trips to Cabo Pulmo from may to Nov. you can see whale Sharks, Mantas and the only Living Coral reef on the No. American Pacific continet. In cabo San Lucas I have seen Whale Sharks, Giant Mantas, Green Sea Turtles,Hammer heads and the sandfalls.
There are 800 species of tropical fish in the sea of cortez plus the large Sea lions Colony at lands end.
The most important to me is the easy boat trips.Most sites are just 10 mins from the docks in Cabo so a two tank takes just 3 1/2 Hours.
Summer Vis. 100 Feet to unlimited.I dive with Baja Dive Ther have large and small boats and have instructors and dive masters on all boats. www.baja-dive.net

Mossman:
The four diving "meccas" in Mexico are: (1) Guadalupe Island, on the Pacific coast of Baja California, for cage "diving" with great white sharks; (2) Sea of Cortez, sites accessible via liveaboard or land-based ops out of La Paz, Loreto, or Mulege;
Dont forget San Carlos on the Sea of Cortez with its Seal island and tburon island

In a word "Cozumel"..

Back
Top Bottom