Mexico cave diving undergarments recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I’m currently planning a cave diving trip in Mexico in August.

I usually cave dive in France where I use Seaskin tech base layers (top and bottom) and Thinsulate 250 Seasking undersuit (water is around 13°C/55F all year long). Most of the time c.1h dives, never been cold, unless a couple of times when I had a leak (wrist seals and dump valve).

It will be my 3rd cave diving trip in Mexico, and I usually come with the same undersuit I use in France. The problem is that this undergarment is very bulky and takes up a lot of space in my suitcase, making it a livinh hell to pack, while being too warm for the waters of Mexico.

I have so far identified the 4th element Arctic undersuit and it seems a good option to me (less bulky and maybe easier to carry around, especially in the 2-piece version). According to what I read, it could be a good option since I could wear it alone, or with a base layer, depending on the water temperature.

I’m also open to any suggestions you might have, many thanks for your help.

For dives of that length in Mexican caves, I have always worn a simple 5mm wetsuit and never been cold. If I were diving a drysuit, I would use the lightest undergarment I own.

For dives of that length in Mexican caves, I have always worn a simple 5mm wetsuit and never been cold. If I were diving a drysuit, I would use the lightest undergarment I own.
I added a hooded vest to the 5mm and was OK.

I use the FE Arctics for the 13C/55F range. I've been told they're equivalent to about 200 gsm Thinsulate garments. I use Xerotherms in FL and Mexico (22-26C / 72-79F), which are supposed to be equivalent to about 100 gsm.

Back
Top Bottom