Metal vs. Plastic Buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently purchased a BC (a TransPac II for you nosey folks) that came with a metal buckle for the waist strap. I remembered using a weight belt years ago that had a metal buckle and disliking it for some reason, I think because it eventually became bent and stop working properly.

While donning the BC by feel, I accidentally mis-threaded the buckle, sending the entering strap down through a slot beneath the cam. What was most disturbing about this was that, at first, it felt and even appeared as if the buckle was threaded and latched properly, but after tugging on it for a moment it came undone. If you're not watching closely, it can also be mis-threaded up through the same slot.

I have since replaced the metal buckle with a plastic one that doesn't allow for the mistake.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with metal buckles? I would hate to think of using this same one for a weight belt -- it would easily slip off mid-dive if not threaded properly.

g2

always used metal and to date no problems - except when doing the DM gear exchange I cut my hand on my buddy's buckle....

I had the same trouble with the metal buckle on my Transpak II the first couple of times I first started using it, but I guess with practice it works fine for me. I use a plastic buckle on my weight belt and I don't feel it is as secure as the metal one on my TP II.

Ty

My TransPac came with the waist belt buckle threaded in some odd way... So I changed the threading to match one on the weight belt (metal buckle too).
BTW, I don't like plastic ones.

I've had rental weightbelts slip and fall off (very nasty) because the plastic buckle was worn - this strikes me as being less of a problem for metal buckles.

Different application to what you're talking about, however.

Originally posted by Bob3
Being in the Bahamas, at least you don't have to worry about your plastic buckles becoming brittle in sub-zero weather.
:mean:

Ah, now there's a thought. Have you had problems with cold temps?

It's an important question to me because, although I'm in the Bahamas at the moment, I have done some ice diving in the past and plan on expanding in that area.

One advantage to not using an metal buckle here is that the barracuda won't mistake it for bait fish...

g2

The buckles that you really need to change out are on the tank cam bands. Changing tanks in sub-zero weather can lead to a lot of flying plastic bits.
Once you're under water, they're not too bad.

Not all plastic buckles are made equal. The mil-spec glass filled nylon or zytel aren't too bad, but the only way to tell those from the el cheapos is to stick 'em in a freezer & whack them with a 4 pound hammer, or setting them on fire.
Look for the tell tale pile of glass fibers in the ashes, it indicates that it was one of the good ones.
:mean:

so Bob,

I guess we'd want to buy a couple of them so we have one
to use after the test?

Back
Top Bottom