Metal Detector Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoneman

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Fisher CZ20 that I bought before being certified and used it for beach combing only. Well now that I dive it is only a matter of time before I take it with me so here's my question. When using it on land I wear headphones to hear the md tones what do you do when you dive with it :confused: Do you wear them underwater and will it cause a safety issue wth clearing your ears, or should I leave them around my neck with the volume cranked up :ne_nau: Also if anyone has advice for a first timer I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

I'm not sure about the CZ20 but my 1280X headphones have small holes in them to allow the pressure equalize inside the ear cups. I prefer to wrap the headphones around the detector until I reach the bottom then deploy them over my ears to work the site. I reattach them to the detector proir to begining my accent. This eliminates any issues when decending and accending.

Start by checking the owners manual to make sure the headphones are meant to be used underwater. If they are, then there is no problem. I've never had any problems equalizing with them. You will want to pull each earcup away for a moment to make sure that no air is trapped inside (bouyancy). One more thing to consider, sound travels very well underwater, you will want to turn the volume way down. Play with it in the shallows first, so that there are any surprises in deeper water.

Also, don't forget to check the maximum depth rating for your detector. Some go deep, others don't.

FD

The headphones of the Fisher CZ20 are designed to be used underwater. I use the Minelab Excalibur 1000, and have had no problems clearing while using the headphones.

Happy Hunting

Tom

Thanks for the input I can't wait to get a chance to try it out.

I leave my earphones off till I get to the bottom. Then I put them on and start detecting.

Back
Top Bottom