Mesh on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anything good to say about mesh?
I've purchased second hand steel tanks. They came with nice looking mesh. But I'm not reading anything good about mesh.

Mesh was intended to protect paint and soften the metal-on-metal sound of tanks impacting each other under handling.

I don’t value a painted tank and hearing the degree of tank-on-tank contact tells me who’s handling bottles well and who’s being unnecessarily rough.

So, no mesh for me, thank you.

My new tank comes in Thursday. I wont be meshing it. All the dive shops seem to mesh their tanks.

I've owned my own tanks for close to 20 years now and have never used mesh. I currently own 10 tanks and in the past owned as many as 24. No mesh has come anywhere close to them! It serves no useful purpose. Also, none of the dive shops I have used in the Midwest nor now use in South Florida mesh their rental tanks. Not one. I'm not sure why the stuff even still exists for purchase.

I bought a brand new 80CF tank and wanted to keep it looking nice so I bought a mesh cover for it. I installed it and loved it. It looked great. Then I picked the tank up to put it away, got the mesh hooked on my belt buckle but didn't know it and plopped the tank down in the storage rack. Because I was attached at the belt buckle, the force of the tank heading downward assisted by gravitational force pulled me over on top of the tank rack, knocking it over sending the tanks rolling rolling over my hands because I was on the ground by this time. Once I got myself untangled, I cut that mesh off and stomped on it before throwing it in the garbage. Nope! No mesh for me. I figured if it got caught on something within five minutes, how would it do on a dive?

That's a heck of a testimony!

Hopefully you know I'm laughing with you, not at you.

No mesh, the English used to use a mothers string shopping bag type mesh, went in the boot, under the tank

Promoted inside tank boot rust much faster than usual

And the cam buckle grippage through the twisted squirming plastic mesh just does not sit right at all with me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom