Mesh hose covers Safe or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A LDS not the LDS that purchased my regulators at, just gave me some interesting information regarding using hose covers on my regulator hoses. He feels hose covers are useless, cause the hoses to be less flexible, worse yet cause more risk by obscuring hose problems and holding sand and debris next to the hose. He feels the only function they serve is to make money for the LDS who puts them on.

I have the mesh type hose covers on all my low and high pressure regulator hoses.

Is this true?

Should I get rid of all hose covers on my gauges, Inflator and Second stage hoses?

Am I the only diver who still has hose covers on my regulator hoses?

Thanks!

I don't use hose protectors, including swage protectors, for largely the reasons you were given. Hoses wear out and I don't think the protectors extend the life by enough to justify the cost and aggravation. For sure they hide damage and, as your LDS mentioned, may even contribute to it.

Reg hoses are like car hoses....dont wait until they burst to get new ones.

I have a hose cover on my main and pony hose because my suit is black
and in terrible vis....if I am doing an arm sweep to retrieve my hose I can
not see it at all....and sometimes...if really cold...I cant feel it on my arm,
but with the bright hose cover....I have always been able to spot it.
My philosophy....works for me...if you dont like it....dont do it..
rich

The mesh covers that go over the entore hose are a waste of money unless there is a legitimate reason for their use. Using to help identify an octo is in some cases a legitimate reason to use them.

The more traditional hose protectors used over the swaged fitting and first couple inches of the hose are currently out of style in some diving circles. Some tech divers concerned with hose routing and streamlining often use some very tight bends in the hose near the regulator and remove the hose protector to facilitate the tight corners used to achived the desired routing.

Personally, I think this is a really bad idea as a tight bend in the hose will drastically shorten it's life. A hose failure due to this abuse is a far more certain problem than the theoretical problem of the hose protector trapping something next to the hose or preventing inspection of the hose. I think it is more of a justfiction for getting rid of them than it is a valid concern about having them.

I have never encountered problems achieving efficient and streamlined hose routing when using hose protectors as long as I used a regulator with a swivel cap. And I have very seldom encountered insurmountable problems with a reg with fixed LP ports.

The hose protector does just that and more importantly prevents the hose from being bent sharply in the area near the swaged fitting. This part of the hose is extremely vunnerable as a bend near the fitting stretches or compresses the hose against the hard metal edge of the fitting ensuring rapid failure of the rubber hose cover. The rest of the hose is far less suceptible to damange from tight bends as there are no hard surfaces to cut the cover.

They also extend the life of the hose if you prefer to hang the reg in storage or store it in a small regulator bag. Without the hose protector, a crease quickly develops where the hose is bent near the swaged fitting. With proper care a low pressure hose will last 15-20 years with no concerns at all.

High pressure hoses used to be just as durable but the recent production HP hoses are much more suceptible to developing leaks due to their different construction. But detecting these leaks is not impeded by a hose cover or hose protector as they are usually not visually detectable anyway but rather are found when they start leaking in the water along the lenght of the hose in a manner very similar to an air stone in a fish tank. I have had HP hoses fail in less than 100 dives.

The hose protector does just that and more importantly prevents the hose from being bent sharply in the area near the swaged fitting. This part of the hose is extremely vunnerable as a bend near the fitting stretches or compresses the hose against the hard metal edge of the fitting ensuring rapid failure of the rubber hose cover. The rest of the hose is far less suceptible to damange from tight bends as there are no hard surfaces to cut the cover.

A few of the hoses on the market now have a "reverse" swage (for lack of a better term), where the outer edge is actually flared outward. Halcyon's versions are excellent in this regard. They also have a tapered fitting that allows more wrench clearance, thus saving the chrome from the assorted nicks that are far too common. I am also impressed with the flexibility of the hose itself. Only time will tell if they hold up well under use. I will most likely replace the remaining half of my LP hoses with them very soon.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom