"Mermaid tail" vs. separate fins -- pros & cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

show me same with monofin :)
and I will use it too! :)
In my limited spare time, I've been developing a new diving fin that will have many capabilities beyond the original DOL-Fin designs. Among those, is an anticipated capability to modulate the fin in reverse. However, I have a hard time seeing myself actually needing to fin backwards, as I don't recall ever needing to do that in over 30 years of diving. I always seem to find an alternative solution in the particular situations I find myself in that work better for me than fining in reverse. Since reverse fining hasn't been important to me, the use of the monofin has had little downside, but provides a lot of advantages in swimming efficiency and speed. If everything works as planned, the new design could provide both more forward capabilities as well as an impressive reverse.

The downside for everyone else is that I'm not making fins for others right now, so this is just going to be a sweet ride for me at the moment. I haven't had time to operate the old fin business lately, because I've got too much other work to do.

For fun, here is an old video I made scuba diving with a DOL-Fin X-15 monofin...

Come on mate, look at that speed, and you're not breathing nearly enough
give it up, your arm's outstretched, you're being towed by a pod of mermaids
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

show me same with monofin :)
and I will use it too! :)

You're doing some weird looking stuff there Alexander
and now permanently emblazoned on my retinas

But beautiful

I'm even tempted to take some long fins on todays dives
but I don't think so

Come on mate, look at that speed, and you're not breathing nearly enough
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
I assure you that I'm only holding onto my camera bar so that I can film the selfie video. Though I have encountered the skeptics who would insist that I'm hiding a DPV or tow rope off camera, this is the first time someone has suggested a pod of mermaids.....
:yeahbaby:
An actual pod of mermaids would not need a tow rope to get me to race after them at superhuman speeds. I'd turn that camera around and find a way!!!

In my limited spare time, I've been developing a new diving fin that will have many capabilities beyond the original DOL-Fin designs. Among those, is an anticipated capability to modulate the fin in reverse. However, I have a hard time seeing myself actually needing to fin backwards, as I don't recall ever needing to do that in over 30 years of diving.
I suspect, you never had dives with Photo camera to try to make some macro pictures, or waiting for minutes for suitable pose of creatures. :)
Reverse kick very usefull and important, when you observe any small creature, or when you try to make macro photo. And do not want to lay down on the floor.

Any kind of fins has own usage and own public. Even split fins :)
E.g. when I have ability to take two pairs - I preffer to have long fins (for relax and sport diving and freediving, just to running on ...) and short (like OMS Slipstream or Aquanavt , when you need high manoeuvrable ability, e.g. for photo or observing small things, or when you swimming in the "canyons" near corals).

"Dolphin tale" fin - I head some positive responses, that such type of fins have one of the most better efficiency factors, from any other fins, but never try it. And made it just for tests - I`m quite lazy for so sophisticated product, as Dolphin tale fin. It can take too much time to produce it and had small outcome (or limited usage).

:)
h-3232.jpg

Look at the bubbles :) on the standard plastic long fins. With iron anchor in the hand :)

Back
Top Bottom