Mermaid 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwinfield

Registered
Reaction score
I spent a very enjoyable week on the Mermaid 1 in October out of Bali. The boat was returning to Puket for it's usual season. Has anyone heard how the boat and specifically the crew came through the wave on boxing day.

My husband and I have been wondering as well -- we did the Komodo trip on the Mermaid I in August 2003, and we know the boat is back in Thailand at this time of the year. We've tried web searches but have found no information. Any news would indeed be appreciated!

thien:
Mermaid I and II and the rest of the Seaworld Team are fine. Their boats were not affected during the Tsunami. I believe they are running trips again to the Similans National Park.

Thanks thien. Thats good news.

alwinfield:
Thanks thien. Thats good news.

Confirmed. Boats are ALL fine as far as I know, not just Mermaid 1 and 2.

I had customers on Mermaid 1 on a trip from 23 December - 1 Jan, and the boat manager Liana has just been at our office and we have people confirmed for a trip tomorrow for Similan/Richelieu Rock.

They should also be back in Bali for the summer.

Happy Diving!

I have also heard that fortunately the boats and the staff are fine.
Does anybody know if the reefs have survived this disaster? There are rumours that the Similan National Park is closed for divers, at least untill Juanuay.

Bye,

Robert

stad:
I have also heard that fortunately the boats and the staff are fine.
Does anybody know if the reefs have survived this disaster? There are rumours that the Similan National Park is closed for divers, at least untill Juanuay.

Bye,

Robert

Not true. All boats are running to the Similan Islands right now. Not closed. The reports from the boats are very good. Diving excellent. If there is any damage it is limited to some of the rocky dive sites (where there is not much coral to damage) and sand on the coral which won't stay there long. I was in Honduras a few weeks after Hurricane Mitch and the reefs were in great shape save for the sand deposits, and within a month or so, the sand was gone. And that was after a category 5 hurricane that pounded the area for days. There is an "official" survey being done right now by a mix of local divers, marine biologists, dive operators. This should give us a very clear idea beyond the good reports we have from the liveaboards.

Back
Top Bottom