Meridian Adventure Info (and vs Raja Ampat Dive Lodge)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience / info with Meridian Adventure Dive Resort in Waisai? Especially interested in dive operation for very experienced divers. It looks like it might be more focused on courses and occasional divers rather than serious divers. Reviews have cited no nitrox, limited dive packages, mixed boats with divers, learners, and snorkelers, no regular night dives. Any feedback or especially recent experience appreciated.
Also considering Raja Ampat Dive Lodge so any feedback comparing that appreciated.

I considered both, and went with RADL. I haven't gone yet though.

In my opinion, when a dive op has nitrox I know they cater to more serious divers.

However, some very remote dive ops won't offer nitrox. That's fine in my book. However, if other dive ops in a region offer nitrox, I'll choose them over a dive op which doesn't.

I've been to Raja Ampat Dive Lodge twice and am planning a third trip. The diving/guides = excellent. If their operations are back to normal, you (Serious Diver! :))will enjoy the diving. Accommodation/food = good. I was lucky in that both times there were only 3 divers at the resort. I had good manta encounters both trips and the night dives on the house reef were excellent.

The second time I was there, the domestic water (shower etc) was a bit brackish, due to coming from wells that were brackish due to lack of rains that year. This was a few years ago.

I was on a trip with some people who stayed there for a layover before a liveaboard. They were happy with the facilities, though they did not dive. They are however very expensive. I would look into Soul Scuba on Kri (no nitrox,). It's only 45 minutes from Waisai harbor, when I stayed at Yenbuba homestay there were lots of serious divers staying there.

The other option if you need nitrox is Kri Eco resort. expensive! but more full service than anything else you'll find in the area.

Would 11 nights Mon to a following week Fri be too much a RADL? Or would it be better to try to split between RADL and another lodge like Meridian. Seems like transfers are challenging.
Would there be different dive sites or access to different experience / day trips?

@JustinJRL , how did you like the food at the homestay? And the accommodations in general?
Food was just adequate, no complaints but nothing extraordinary. I had no stomach issues during my stay. They provided fresh drinking water and 3 meals a day, no snacks. I stayed at Yenbuba Homestay which I enjoyed: Overwater Bungolows are basic, but bigger than expected. Nice blacony with a hammock. Shared washrooms are adequate. Bring your own toiletries/hand sanitizer. Honestly, with that quality of snorkelling, and the view of the dampier straight at your doorstep, I couldn't ask for much more, I paid less than 50$/night all in.

Would 11 nights Mon to a following week Fri be too much a RADL? Or would it be better to try to split between RADL and another lodge like Meridian. Seems like transfers are challenging.
Would there be different dive sites or access to different experience / day trips?
If you are on Kri/Manusuar already, I don't see the point of going back to Waisai/Meridian unless you really need wifi ,airconditioning, or a good hot shower (not sure about RADL) for a night or two before you leave. The dive sites that Meridian visits will 99% be the same, but you'll be closer to them at RADL, instead of a 45 minute boat ride to the dive site.

11 nights is probably not too much. You'll go to Piaynemo one day, you'll do manta sandy at least once, maybe birds of paridise or another land excersion once. If you wanted to switch it up, I'd rather try diving Lembeh for a day or two instead of going to Meridian, especially if you are coming thru Manado. You'll actually get a different dive experience versus diving with Meridian.

Justin: Exactly! That is exactly what we were thinking. Flights are so challenging we thought staying a few days in Manado woudl be good.
RADL does have Aircon, Showers, and apparently gets mobile data. So we do have that which was important for one of us.

Does anyone have experience / info with Meridian Adventure Dive Resort in Waisai? Especially interested in dive operation for very experienced divers. It looks like it might be more focused on courses and occasional divers rather than serious divers. Reviews have cited no nitrox, limited dive packages, mixed boats with divers, learners, and snorkelers, no regular night dives. Any feedback or especially recent experience appreciated.
Also considering Raja Ampat Dive Lodge so any feedback comparing that appreciated.
I just came back from Indonesia. After a liveaboard trip, we stayed 7 days at Meridian. Please see a link to my recent report: Trip Report - RAJA AMPAT: MERIDIAN ADVENTURE SCUBA DIVING RESORT
I would not recommend this resort for very experienced divers. I would rather stay at Kri Eco Resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom