Memory of Events During a Crisis Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I guess that this post really is for those of you who have been unfortunate enough to have had a real problem underwater, and then fortunate enough to be able to read this now.

I've got 200+ ocean dives in some pretty good spots and think that I am a decent, but not expert, diver. I recently was in a dive on a severely-sloping-and-then-vertical wall when, after about 25 minutes and at about 60 feet, I ran into a severe downcurrent. I latched onto the slopy part of the wall for a bit (cannot remember how long -- do remember thinking "This is NOT good!" --but the total dive time was 37 minutes), but was knocked off. I then turned and headed into the blue to try to escape the current (don't remember making that decision but knew before the dive that doing so is a solution to the downcurrent problem). I was finning like hell out-and-up, my computer tells me that I bottomed out at 144 feet, I could not read my gauges (bubbles seemingly everywhere), and must have inflated my BC at some point (don't remember doing it) because it was fully inflated when I reached the surface with the vast sum of 150PSI (not surprising, because I do remember very very heavy breathing, and I'm usually okay on air consumption). No, I never gave the least consideration to a safety stop. No, I never gave a thought to dropping weights. Yes, I was scared -- really scared -- during the escape process.

My comment-and-question for those of you who have experienced similar close calls is: I have virtually no memory of the events after being swept from the wall, other than some vague images of being unable to read gauges (but must have seen something because I knew I was low on air), concentrating on swimming as hard as I could, thinking that I wasn't going up fast enough to avoid OOA, and thoughts of being determined not to drown. Did you have a similar memory block(?) after your crisis?

And for all of us, including those fortunate enough to NOT have such interesting experiences, a few comments:

1. My pre-crisis-dive personal opinion always has been that no one who hasn't been in a very tight spot can have any idea how he/she will react to being in one. My dive confirms that opinion. Theory is great, but until you've been there, you just have no clue, and had better hope that good training somehow finds its way into your brain when it is on overload.

2. There's a lot of merit in not draining a tank during the "normal" part of a dive, because you just never know when you'll need that air to escape from a bad spot. That's pretty basic, but I point this out because I've met a lot of divers who think that coming up with anything more than 500PSI is a waste of dive time. Obviously, the amount of reserve "needed" depends on the dive location.

Last edited:
Well first let me say that reading your story gave me the cold sweats! YIKES! :errrr:

I've had only one truly scary diving incident - and it wasn't nearly as scary as yours. But that's as scared as I wanna be when diving! The abbreviated version is, I was at the end of a dive in volcanic cauldron in the Galapagos with a washing-machine surface, and my rental BC failed and wouldn't hold air. I went OOA on the surface due to trying to fill it...which doesn't sound like a big deal except that we'd been instructed to keep our regs in our mouths at the surface until the boat can fetch us, and I was getting hit in the face with 4 ft waves, and had no air coming out of my reg!

The interesting part is that, unlike you, I remember EVERY SINGLE SECOND of that event in vivid detail, in fact it seemed to transpire in slow motion. My brain seemed to go into overdrive, packing way more thoughts into each second than I normally have. My mind scrolled through all of my training, experiences, and various other sources of information, in what seemed like lightning speed. I knew I was in trouble, and immediately began running through the situation in my head - what's my biggest risk at this particular moment...what's the thing that's gonna kill me first? And what do I need to do first to eliminate that risk? After that one's sorted, what's my next biggest risk, and what do I need to do for that one?

The first thing I thought was that I need to keep from breathing in water, so I have to consciously keep my mouth closed tight, even though my instinct was to open it and suck in. Next I had to get buoyant, so I can get my head above those waves. We were slightly over-weighted due to the nature of the site (the washing-machine surface and currents dictate that you have to do a backroll off the boat and immediately drop), so I went to ditch my weigh belt...but first I stuck my face in the water and looked below me, because I knew that some other divers might be right beneath me doing their safety stops...and sure 'nuff there were several divers right under me. This thought only came to me because I'd just been reading in this forum about a diver who'd been struck in the head by a weight belt ditched right above him, and I didn't want to do that to someone.

So rather than drop my belt of lead blocks on someone's head, I finned really hard to get my head up in between waves to get a couple of breaths, and look around for the DM. There he was, and I managed to give him the OOA signal. He swam over and gave me his octo and held onto me, keeping me on the surface. Problem solved.

All this happened in the space of just a few moments, but when I remember it, it seems like many long minutes because of the amount of thinking I did...evaluating the situation, considering my options, taking actions.

I agree that nobody can tell how you, they, or anyone else will react in a crisis. After that crisis (and a couple of non-dive-related crises in which I reacted similarly), I do believe that I am fortunate to be someone who THINKS in an emergency. I realize this was not the scariest incident - I was, after all, at the surface, and I could have ditched my weights and probably would have been able to get enough breaths in between the waves to survive until the boat came. But it WAS scary, and could have been very bad had I panicked.

I think that part of this is just innate nature. Have you had other types of crises before? Were you unable to remember the details afterward, like this time? It concerns me that you didn't think about ditching weights - that should have been something that at least crossed your mind, as part of your training.

You have more dives than I do - I'm closing in on that 200 mark - so I'm not in a position to give you advice. But one thing I will say has helped me, is doing "skills and drills" dives - dives not for fun, but to practice what we learned in training, so that if an incident does occur, it won't be the first time I've had to consider this situation and take these actions. AND, I read a TON. I especially read this accidents forum, to remind myself of all the things that CAN go wrong...and what mistakes people make.

I've had only one truly scary diving incident - and it wasn't nearly as scary as yours.

I don't know -- your event sounds plenty distressing to me.

Have you had other types of crises before?

No mishaps that reached a crisis level -- that is, nothing where I was worried about a final outcome. And I clearly remember both of those.

It concerns me that you didn't think about ditching weights - that should have been something that at least crossed your mind, as part of your training.

That failure bothered me as well, since I'd considered the problems of downcurrent well before the nasty dive. One skill not previously practiced was "How to recognize the downcurrent BEFORE you get into it." And I'm still not sure how to do that.

I haven't had anything quite as bad as your experience, but I've had a couple of incidents where things were really out of control -- one was getting severe vertigo with a flooded mask I couldn't clear, just off the edge of a sheer wall, the depth of whose bottom I didn't know. Like Leejnd, my memory is crystal clear, but unlike her, I had a strong feeling that things were rushing past me faster than I could stay on top of them. That was the case with the other incident as well. I just felt as though I was behind the curve.

144 feet + heavy breathing => CO2 narc

narcosis will definitely cause amnesia, add in the stress, and i'd say it was unsurprising for you to have memory issues in thinking back about this event.

Now I'm wondering if my sense that I was "in control" was really more a matter of denial! :wink:

I put a smiley on that, but I actually think there's some truth to it. I think some people deal with crises by denying the severity of them in their minds...and I believe I do that to an extent. Every time I've been in any kind of crises, I refused to believe the "worst" could happen. I simply cast that possibility out of my mind. Fortunately that didn't seem to stop me from taking action...if anything, I think it helpded me to keep my wits about me.

One time many years ago, when my kids were small, we were on a camping trip near Mendocino and we did a hike back to a beautiful, wooded waterfall. We were all climbing around on some logs near the top of the falls, and without my noticing it, my daughter (who was around 7 at the time, I think) ended up on some logs jutting out over the falls. Suddenly she made a scared sound, and I turned around and saw her, starting to fall between two logs...had she slipped through, she would have fallen into the 25-ft waterfall and probably crashed to her death on the rocks below.

When I saw her start to slip, I didn't even consider the possibility of her actually falling - my mind wouldn't accept it. I was along the side, and fortunately I was close enough so that I was able to reach UNDER the logs, grab her and whip her down between and over to the side. She bumped her head and cut it pretty bad, but was otherwise fine (albeit shaken up).

To this day (she's 20 now) I remember every single detail of that incident, and I swear it seemed like it was happening in slow motion at the time. I just remember being very calm and doing what I had to do. Afterwards I fell apart though! I had a few rough nightmares, that's for sure. (And no comments about how stupid it was to allow our kids that close to the top of the waterfall! Nobody could beat me up more than I did myself.)

I don't know if my particular brand of crises response is better than any other - maybe my propensity for denying that the worst can happen will someday make me not take some action that I should take? Who knows. I do think we are born with our innate crises-response built in, but I also think that we can improve our odds through training and practice.

That's why I'm planning on taking a GUE Fundamentals course this Fall - I know I need more training in diving.

144 feet + heavy breathing => CO2 narc

narcosis will definitely cause amnesia, add in the stress, and i'd say it was unsurprising for you to have memory issues in thinking back about this event.

Oh yeah, narcosis - I hadn't thought about that. Good point! I'd be willing to bet that had some effect on your memory. Maybe if you'd been in a crisis situation without the depth (like I was in mine), you wouldn't have the memory issue.

Hopefully you won't have an opportunity to test that theory out! :D

@Valwood1: Yup. Just as lamont says. Narcosis exacerbated by CO2 retention could cause your inability to recall specific details of the incident.
To this day (she's 20 now) I remember every single detail of that incident, and I swear it seemed like it was happening in slow motion at the time.
@Leejnd: Embrace the amygdala. :D
Do a Pubmed or Google search on "amygdala," "fear," and "memory."
Here's a link to an essay on the amygdala and fear.

Wow...almond shaped structures in the brain, eh? What a trip! I'll have to give this a deeper read tonight. I scanned it, and was especially intrigued by the part about how, when remembering events that caused you fear, you will often have a physiological response (increased heart rate etc.). Yep! Every time I think of that moment with my daughter, my heart races. Fascinating.

Any "critical incident" usually leads to a loss of memory that usually returns after a period of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom