Memorial for Dr. Bob Given May 3rd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Before there was a "Dr. Bill" on Santa Catalina Island, there was a "Dr. Bob." Dr. Bob Given was a pioneer in underwater scientific research. He conducted the first systematic subtidal studies of Catalina's marine life, conducted research into diving physiology, did early work on the effects of deep diving, directed the USC Marine Science Center on Catalina, helped form the Catalina Island Conservancy and the Catalina Conservancy Divers (CCD), and taught not only at college and university level, but also informally and formally to may divers and members of the general public. When I first arrived and started diving Catalina waters in 1969, Bob was there to offer me guidance.

Bob passed away on February 22nd as I have previously posted. On Saturday, May 3rd, there will be a memorial tribute to him at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro, CA. For those who have questions or are interested in attending, contact Ronnie Lynn Damico Cole at rdamico@csulb.edu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom