Megalodon Ledge NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
Within a couple of months I will be putting together my target dive sites for the 2011 season. One of the sites I am considering is Megalodon Ledge.

If you have dove this site would you please share some info. Anything at all will be helpful. I will be using the Aquatic Safaris or Cape Fear Dive Center.

More specifically, what I am interested in is a detailed description of the terrain and/or geology. Is the bottom 1" of sand with an underlying limestone bed? Is there a ledge? Does the ledge run parallel to the shore line? Are there 3 ledges by chance? (like offshore South Carolina). If there is a ledge, have you tried both upper and lower plateaus? How do they secure the anchor? Do all divers tie their reel lines to the anchor?

Are the teeth/fossils covered with growth? Are there fossilized bones? If so, what size are the bones?

Do the dive charters work up and down the ledge or the same old site, visit after visit?

How many divers were on the boat and what was found? Of the finds what percent were frags? Were there any "quality" teeth found?

Would love to see some photos if you have some to share. (Any condition teeth, any quality, frags included)

After typing the above I ran across this reference to Meg Ledge

Found this reference photo of an encrusted Meg laying on the bottom, offshore Wilmington NC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom