Megalodon ISO 9001

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good news?

Having held various engineering positions in manufacturing over the last 15 years and having been involved in the iso certification of several different facilities I'm pretty comfortable saying that ISO and it's cousins like QS are the biggest scams ever pulled on industry.

ISO is a documentation system that pretty much says that it's ok to build dangerous junk that kills people as long as you build it the way you say you're going to. There is no requirement that your procedures be good only that you write them and follow them.

I've never seen ISO favorably impact quality. In fact most (at least enough to get a chapter on it in some engineering handbooks) companies seem to fail to budget for what it will costy them (in money and time) and quality often actually suffers (especially in the short term)...just because every one is too busy documenting to do anything.

I'll second what Mike said. ISO 9001 just says you have documented procedures, and
they are followed. It doesn't say they are GOOD procedures, just documented and
followed.. When it first hit the company I work for about 13 years ago, it took me a
couple of hours to make my organization (about 100 people) compliant. I already had
the procedures written down. The two hours was spend making some minor formatting
changes. And about an hour arguing with the lab's compliance dude who kept insisting that
I use the one (of about three) formats that was REALLY hard to do in the corporate
word processor de jour then. One of the others was EASY. He lost.

I'm not saying that written procedures are a bad thing (note that I'd already written
them down). Just that ISO 9001 doesn't prove they are GOOD procedures.

Chuck

All of this may in fact be true, but the meg. is still one of the best products out there. I don't see anything changing that any time soon.

jptrealty:
All of this may in fact be true, but the meg. is still one of the best products out there. I don't see anything changing that any time soon.

You can build cement life jackets under ISO 9001. Its just a documentation program.

I just got back from 10 days in Truk with a rebreather group (5 Inspirations/1 Megaladon) doing trimix and I was favorably impressed with the Meg. It was smaller and allowed for easier penetration and performed flawlessly. Fun is being three decks down in 205'

ISO 9001 certification is suited to organisations who wish to improve their management processes and demonstrate that their quality credentials are independently verified. This usually leads to improved client retention and helps them win new business, particularly when bidding for public sector work where ISO 9001 is usually expected.

Thanks!!!

For more information visit: ISO 9001

Back
Top Bottom