[Medical Question] Wisdom teeth, surgery, and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So this may be posted in the wrong section, please make me aware if thats the case, I apologize if it is.

To start, my and my fathers up coming trip to bonaire in set in stone, which is great. However, I've been made aware by my orthodontist that I will need to have my wisdom teeth taken out, and soon. I have about a month until my trip, my certification dives are this weekend and next weekend, so the nearest I would be able to plan an appointment between now and then would leave less than a month until I would be in the water around Bonaire. So this leaves a question in my head, one that my orthodontist wasnt able to answer. Does anyone know what a safe amount of time would be to wait after having all four wisdom teeth removed before diving? I have a consultation with the surgeon in a few days, but I figured asking around here wouldnt hurt either incase other's might have at some point ran into the same situation. I know that for about a week I'll be really sore, but my orthodontist did mention how I shouldnt drink out of a straw for awhile because suction can cause a "dry socket". So...anyone have any pointers? If it comes down to it, I may end up going to Bonaire in alot of pain, and doing the surgury once I get back, but I think I'd rather do that than miss the trip entirely (its in the only time frame possible for us, moving it isnt an option).

Any suggestions?

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed last year. My surgeon told me to stay out of the water four two weeks following surgery. More so to allow the gums to heal and prevent any possible infection from being in the water than anything else.

You'll also want to make sure you can hold a reg in comfortably, but as long as you have no complications, I'd guess a couple weeks would work for you as well.

Well it will really depend. I couldn't open my mouth properly for six weeks after I had my wisdom teeth out, my partner was fine in a couple of days.

Just get it done after, don't take the risk of missing your holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom