Mechanical ventilation u/w seems an unwise idea per this work.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
"Diving Hyperb Med. 2013 Jun;43(2):72-7.

Rescue of drowning victims and divers: is mechanical ventilation possible underwater? A pilot study.

Winkler BE, Muth CM, Kaehler W, Froeba G, Georgieff M, Koch A.

SourceUniversity of Leipzig, Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Ulm, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine II, Heart Center Leipzig, University of Leipzig, Struempellstrasse 39, 04289 Leipzig, Germany, Phone: +49-341-865254035, E-mail: bernd.e.winkler@gmail.com.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION: In-water resuscitation has recently been proposed in the European resuscitation guidelines. Initiation of mechanical ventilation underwater might be considered when an immediate ascent to the surface is impossible or dangerous. The present study evaluated the feasibility of such ventilation underwater.

METHODS: A resuscitation manikin was ventilated using an Interspiro® MK II full-face mask or with an Oxylator® ventilator via a facemask or a laryngeal tube, or with mouth-to-tube inflation. Tidal volumes achieved by the individual methods of ventilation were assessed. The ventilation tests were performed during dives in the wet compartment of a recompression chamber and in a lake. Ventilation was tested at 40, 30, 20, 12, 9 and 6 metres' depth. Results: Ventilation was impossible with the cuffed mask and only sufficient after laryngeal intubation for a small number of breaths. Laryngeal tube ventilation was associated with the aspiration of large amounts of water and the Oxylator failed during the ascent. Efficient ventilation with the MK II full-face mask was also possible only for a short period. An absolutely horizontal position of the manikin was required for successful ventilation, which is likely to be difficult to achieve in open water. Leakage at the sealing lip of the full-face mask and the cuff of the laryngeal tube led to intrusion of water and resulted in subsequent complete failure of ventilation.

CONCLUSIONS: The efficacy of underwater ventilation seems to be poor with any of the techniques trialed. Water aspiration frequently makes ventilation impossible and might foster emphysema aquosum-like air trapping and, therefore, increase the risk of pulmonary barotrauma during ascent. Because the limitations of underwater ventilation are substantial even under ideal conditions, it cannot be recommended presently for real diving conditions."

I agree with their conclusion.

Next they should study the feasibility of underwater liver transplantation in case someone develops hepatic failure at depth and has a deco obligation which would preclude an immediate ascent to the surface for the standard surgical approach.

ASNR: Acute Spontaneous Nasal Reflux. Occurs when one reads something humorous while drinking coffee and said beverage exits the nares at high velocity.

I agree with their conclusion.

Next they should study the feasibility of underwater liver transplantation in case someone develops hepatic failure at depth and has a deco obligation which would preclude an immediate ascent to the surface for the standard surgical approach.
:rofl3: My first thought, but I figured I wasn't qualified to make the joke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom