Mechanical Clutch Needed To Engage Belt - Powering Compressor Off Boat Motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kohler and Yanmar engines are far more than parts for running it directly off the main. But it does give you more flexibility. Even Chinese knockoffs are a few hundred. I priced replacements for mine at 2 to 3 $K and would definitely get knockoffs.

What's wrong with mouning a pulley on the front of the eng, and a over center, idler that tensions the belt,
Like some lawnmowers use...
When you don't need it, belt comes off...

Idler pulley if good for anything that needs to be removed to service the engine and I might install that. But I would like to avoid using one for a clutch on the boat. I may be naive in thinking it engages roughly but i know for sure it makes rubber dust... because that is how my home made go-cart in middle school worked (Yeeehaw!!)
It will be engaged and disengaged often and a loose belt when disengaged is kinda a loose cannon.

Idler pulley if good for anything that needs to be removed to service the engine and I might install that. But I would like to avoid using one for a clutch on the boat. I may be naive in thinking it engages roughly but i know for sure it makes rubber dust... because that is how my home made go-cart in middle school worked (Yeeehaw!!)
It will be engaged and disengaged often and a loose belt when disengaged is kinda a loose cannon.
That there is why I don’t understand why you don’t want a 12v clutch. They are cheap and they are tensioned the whole time.

Well it sounded like you wanted it come on gentler than an electric clutch for some reason, and a belt definitely will be gentler,
Not sure why it will be on and off alot,.. if you're pumping a few tanks, it can stay engaged till you are done,
It has a relief valve for a reason,
Besides you can just leak some out of the fill hose if worried.
You belt will be just fine, it's working way easier than any mower deck engaging at wide open throddle.
It is most definitely not a go cart.
You can also use a kevlar belt, it will help, you probably should, they are meant to run backwards on them selves,

But if not, use an electric clutch, your eng has an alternator.... it one toggle switch.

I'd go hydraulic, all said and done it should be easier to do and lets you put the comp in a convenient place.

I noticed you said someone did not recommend it but there is no real reason it can't be done.

Hydraulic can be done and I've ran boats with them but it requires a constant rpm from the main engine which is a pita and burns a lot of fuel compared to a separate diesel or running electric off a bank.
Same for running it off the flywheel on front. Motor has to be at a constant rpm for the compressor.
Pretty sure varying compressor speed constantly an easy way to find out how much a compressor rebuild costs in time and money.

Thank you for these last 4 posts. I planned to respond to Wookie on April 11th. Work got busy. But i look forward to continuing this conversation and I appreciate everyone's points. I will respond soon.

Back
Top Bottom