Measuring O2 in enriched air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly why I teach my students to slowly open the cylinder first to make sure you have a light flow and THEN put the analyzer against the valve. They are NEVER to put it against the open orifice and then open the cylinder.

I also teach to calibrate it on a cylinder of air prior to analyzing their Nitrox.
And hope that the cylinder of air is actually air, not a cylinder that has had EAN in it since being emptied completely.

I also teach to calibrate it on a cylinder of air prior to analyzing their Nitrox.
I always analyze at least twice: some time after filling, but before marking the tank, and at the site before hooking up my reg.

In both those situation, I usually don't have access to a tank containing something I can be certain enough is air. I do, however have an unlimited supply of air at 1 ATA. There may be just a smidgen of moisture in it, but at the humidities I see that will affect my reading no more than, say, 0.2 percentage points.

And if my personal analyzer agrees within about 0.5 percentage points with the display on the mixer I've been using, I trust that my analysis is good enough. I prefer to stay below 1.3 bar pPO2 anyway, and with my tanks I'm never NDL limited if I dive nitrox, so a minor error in my analysis isn't something I worry much about.

I've owned 3 analyzers (analox, maxtech, divenav) and they all came with some type of flow restrictor. Analox and divenav used a simple piece of plastic with a tiny hole. Maxtech came with something closer to that oxycheq renstrictor.

And hope that the cylinder of air is actually air, not a cylinder that has had EAN in it since being emptied completely.

Air cylinders are just that, air. Nitrox cylinders have labels on them as they should. Green and yellow that state the cylinder is to be used only for nitrox.

Green and yellow that state the cylinder is to be used only for nitrox.
... or nitrox compatible air.

If it makes you feel better about it, I can call it EAN21

... or nitrox compatible air.

Yes that is true but I was basing my statement by the current topic of this thread. Also some DCs only put EANx in cylinders marked as such even if there is Nitrox compatible air available.

Air cylinders are just that, air. Nitrox cylinders have labels on them as they should. Green and yellow that state the cylinder is to be used only for nitrox.

Except there's no standard for this. Nitrox labels are a farce. I don't care if cylinders are pink with purple bands and a naked chick on them screaming "It's 32%!" There is neither a requirement nor a standard, nor should there be anything other than bare tanks unless you dive standard gases, then there should be a MOD label on it. Anything else and people start doing stupid things.

Analyze your gas and you never have to worry about what somebody put in a cylinder.

And since nitrox cylinders are always labeled why would we need analyzers?

since nitrox cylinders are always labeled why would we need analyzers?
EAN28, EAN32, EAN36, etc., etc., etc.

MOD is a kinda important parameter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom