Meals on dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did Blackbeards liveaboard and breakfast was eggs or hash browns or grits and bacon or sausage mostly. Lots of different kind of juices.

Lunch - various meats for sandwiches, potato salad, chips.

Dinner - big salad bowl, spaghetti, rolls.

This is just one example the food changed daily.

Good basic food with snacks in between dives - fruit, goldfish, etc.

The last liveaboard I was on my wife and I had to take over the cooking, the cook was seasick most of the trip. We did fine and it was fun.

Ringo:
What sort of food/meals would you prefer served on daytrip or Liveaboard dive boats i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Chantal

Stuff that will not give you heartburn or give you the runs. Not to greasy, not to heavy yet with enough of a punch to keep you going the whole day.

Tamas:
Stuff that will not give you heartburn or give you the runs. Not to greasy, not to heavy yet with enough of a punch to keep you going the whole day.
Ditto.:D

Definitely light on the grease for breakfasts. I find most breakfasts too heavy on high fat foods. Would love to see some potatoes that aren't fried (maybe broiled?), ham or turkey, eggs and oatmeal. In other words, fast carbs, slow carbs and some protein without the grease.

As someone who does "quick and dirty" cooking for active family and friends, nothing is easier to make or handier to serve. Advantages:
1) Can be cooked in one large pan;
2) Odd ingredients may be served on the side to accomodate individual preferences
(e.g. onions, tomatoes, bacon: ummm -- bacon)
3) Easy to make up ahead of time (can be microwaved if ncessary later)
4) Can be eaten by hand -- utensils not necessary.
And they make a great leftover snack later with a cold glass of Pinot Grigio when you're done diving for the day!!!

check out the website for the Nekton: www.nektoncruises.com
they have a sample menu for the entire week at sea and let me tell you -- it is very acurate! We never went hungry and the food was awesome. Being buffet, you could pick and choose what works for your stomach.

When I did Blackbeards, the food was amazing. We never went hungry and there was always snacks avaliable from fresh fruit to cookies and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I am not a morning person and oftem missed breakfast, but by the time I decided to roll out of bed, which was usually after everyone ate, there was always food avaliable to me. Plus the daily baked goods that were prepared sometimes twice a day. I did eat very well that week.

As much fresh fruit as is practical. I've been on a liveaboard where there were almost no fruits or veg of any kind served and It started to make me feel sick after a few days.

Back
Top Bottom