Me and my big mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy:
The Seacure one sounds enticing...will it fit a USD second stage?

cheers

Billy S.

Sea Cure--definitely the way to go. I've been using mine for almost three years (with regular cleaning so it doesn't get too grungy). I have a history of TMJ from crooked molars, and I never have achy jaws when I use the Sea Cure, even after multiple, long dives.

For Billy S: Sea Cure comes in various sizes to fit different regs. You can check the URL below to see a list of compatible regs. They're listed according to Sea Cure model type, but there's also a link to a downloadable spreadsheet with the regs in apha order; plus they give instructions on how to measure for fit in case your reg isn't listed.

http://www.seacure1.com/regulato.htm

One caution on forming the Sea Cure is to not chomp down too hard because you will end up breathing through your teeth when it sets. They are very forgiving, though, and can be redone if not perfectly comfortable the first time.

One potential drawback of custom mouth pieces is that what fits your mouth may be way too big for your buddy's mouth. A mouth piece which is too long tends to gag the user. I suggest you make sure this is not the case, as you would not want to discover this for the first time in a real-life OOA.

Besides Seacure, others make moldable mouthpieces, and they’re usually a bit less expensive. Some seen here: http://www.tridentdive.com/page141.htm Not the best photos, but you get the idea.

I’ve used both types and they’re well worth it. They allow my mouth to go completely relaxed. No biting on the bite tabs needed.

The only problems I’ve had (both easily fixed) were with Seacure.
I found the Seacure bite tabs to be too long for my mouth and trimmed them.
The Seacure used harder plastic where the tywrap goes, and was prone to slip off the reg.
I simply heated that part before tightening the tywrap.

The comfobite would be my next choice, and it’s a nice gesture to your buddy to put one on your alternate.

MASS-Diver:
One potential drawback of custom mouth pieces is that what fits your mouth may be way too big for your buddy's mouth. A mouth piece which is too long tends to gag the user. I suggest you make sure this is not the case, as you would not want to discover this for the first time in a real-life OOA.

That is a possibility, but I think an extremely remote one.

Was working with a class today and a small 14 year old was running low on air in one of the drills so we did an honest-to-God alternate air source use. I'm an adult. I have a SeaCure mouth piece on my primary (I donate the primary and use a bungied alternate). The young fellow made it work, an that is in a nonthreatening situation.

I dare say that a diver in a true OOA will manage to get a working regulator mouthpiece into his/her mouth.

But you do make a valid point.

Back
Top Bottom