McLean Extreme 5 dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a link to a retailer selling the McLean Extreme 5.

There's even a link to the user manual at the bottom of the page. All in French, sorry, but as it's a computer designed in France, and mainly marketed for the French market (at least right now, to the best of my knowledge) it does make sense I think.

Could be. I was just curious. There was a time when Shearwater was a new, unknown company. Maybe this will be a great product. But, they could do a better job at communicating.

Could be. I was just curious. There was a time when Shearwater was a new, unknown company. Maybe this will be a great product. But, they could do a better job at communicating.
My concern would be if they are this hard to communicate with when you are trying to give them money, how will they be once they have your money?

Here's a link to a retailer selling the McLean Extreme 5.

There's even a link to the user manual at the bottom of the page. All in French, sorry, but as it's a computer designed in France, and mainly marketed for the French market (at least right now, to the best of my knowledge) it does make sense I think.
Here is an unedited Google Docs translation of the Manual, in Word format. I've done NO editing...but you can probably get the gist of the contents anyway.

Attachments

• Translated copy of Manuel_Extreme.docx
    331.3 KB · Views: 59
Here is an unedited Google Docs translation of the Manual, in Word format. I've done NO editing...but you can probably get the gist of the contents anyway.
Thanks!

The disclaimer is interesting:
While we make an ongoing and ongoing effort to make sure the Extreme works properly, it is a statistical certainty that a particular version contains undetected bugs.

Thanks!

The disclaimer is interesting:
While we make an ongoing and ongoing effort to make sure the Extreme works properly, it is a statistical certainty that a particular version contains undetected bugs.
Not dissimilar to the WARNING in Shearwater's Teric Manual:

This computer has bugs. Although we haven’t found them all yet, they are there. It is certain that there are things that this computer does that either we didn’t think about, or planned for it to do something different. Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer or tables. If you choose to make riskier dives, obtain the proper training and work up to them slowly to gain experience.

This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan for how to handle failures. Automatic systems are no substitute for knowledge and training.

No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense (except for not doing the dive, of course).​

Not dissimilar to the WARNING in Shearwater's Teric Manual:

This computer has bugs. Although we haven’t found them all yet, they are there. It is certain that there are things that this computer does that either we didn’t think about, or planned for it to do something different. Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer or tables. If you choose to make riskier dives, obtain the proper training and work up to them slowly to gain experience.

This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan for how to handle failures. Automatic systems are no substitute for knowledge and training.

No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense (except for not doing the dive, of course).​
I hadn't read the Shearwater manual.

I agree with you.

all the electronic is new
I'm not sure I'd call an ARM M4 new. It was released way back in 2010. 9 more years and it will officially be an antique.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom