McAbee Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep,

There's a public restroom in the parking lot on Wave St. just past Hoffman Ave. (on the side facing the water).

Usually there is a porta potty on the beach by the trail heading down near the mexican resturant..

Thought I'd use this thread to offer a newcomer's view of McAbee Beach. On the specific point of the OP's post, just as Gombessa said, there are public restrooms a block up at the parking garage (where there is also a change machine for parking meters) -- however I'm not sure when the RRs open - they were closed at ~7:00 am Saturday.

So, that out of the way I'll share some general first-timer thoughts on McAbee that other newbie's might find valuable (or at least not a waste of time!):

Saturday AM I met with my instructor for my dry suit check-out dives; we selected McAbee and he suggested we meet right at the beach utilizing street parking at 7:00 am. At that time we were able to park right in front of the beach entry. Parking meters aren't required until 9:00 am, so we went down to the water's edge to check conditions, briefed the dive, and suited up right there on the edge of the sidewalk. There is a very nice set of access stairs & ramp from the sidewalk down to the upper beach area which eliminates the need to traverse even a short little hill in gear. Fully geared, we wlaked down the steps across a short expanse of sand, and out into the water to again check gear, pull on hoods and gloves, and put on fins. We were the first divers on scene and in the water, and there was still ample street parking on Cannery Row right near the entrance.

The beach area is very well sheltered and conditions were about as easy an entry as one could imagine. There were almost no waves to speak of, and its a gently sloping sandy beach entry. The tide was on the low side. Once fully suited we swam out on our backs through the first thin line of kelp to the open, sandy-bottomed beach-side of the rocky kelp-bed off-shore. From there it was an easy descent to ~17 feet. We were blessed with great viz -- around 20 - 25 feet. After having to do a few drills / skills (it was a check-out dive after all) we went on to have fun exploring -- and it was great fun. we routed around and through the kelp bed several times, and during the approx 35 minute dive we were accompanied by two harbor seals and occasionally a third juvenile seal. They were super playful and a near constant presence -- occassionally nudging gently against our legs and frequently nipping at our fins. At one point one, with my instructor in front of me while swimming single file through the kelp, I watched one of the seals nudge at my instructor's thigh pocket and then carefully and slowly use its front flipper to seemingly try to opne the flap on the pocket (I hope this doesn't mean it is used to being fed by divers). While the seals were the highlight of the dive, we also saw numerous nudis in a variety of colors, numerous smaller kelp crabs, a good-sized sea cucumber, numerous smaller fish, and omnipresent stars and sunflower stars. We ended the dive a little early because I felt underweight in the shallower spots (never deeper than 30 feet, and sometimes at 12 - 15 feet) as my tank grew more buoyant -- so only 35 minutes.

The exit was as easy as the entry. By now (approx 8:45 am) a group of 5-6 divers had spread blankets down near a wall on the upper beach and were gearing up for their first dive. We got to regale them with tales of the viz, the seals, and all the life out and about that morning. One minute later, we're up the stairs and taking off gear on the sidewalk for our SI. We kept our kits just at the edge of the sidewalk / gutter so as not to block the walkway and I didn't feel we were unfairly intruding on the sidewalk space at all. With it almost 9:00 am, $1.50 bought us parking until almost 11:00. SI was spent hanging out right there above the beach; the street parking was now all taken and tourists and visitors were strolling up and down Cannery Row, and it was fun talking to people, especially kids, who stopped to ask about the diving and the equipment we had.

About ten to ten, back down the steps for dive 2. We more or less did the same dive. Conditions were still great, with just the tiniest of surge felt occasionally. For much of this dive, the seals were elsewhere, though they made a few appearences. The highlight this time was coming around a little rise in the kelp bed rocks to see something wedged in between two rocks, kicking up a little sand and bubbles. After about 20 seconds watching from a short distance, a good-sized sea otter backed out of the rock crevasse (alas, empty-handed), turned to see he had an audience, and took off for the surface. Once again there were a ton of other critters to see as well (though the otter foraging was the highlight). With a few extra pounds on me this time we stayed down for 50+ minutes just doing a leisurely tour of the kelp bed; once again never deeper than 30 feet. Topside, an extra quarter in the meter allowed us to de-kit and pack, and we were ready to go (or stay!) by 11:15 am.

We were blessed with good conditions, but I'm led to believe that even with less favorable conditions McAbee is a super easy, relaxing shallow dive, even for newcomers to Monterey and/or shore diving (most of my diving has been warm-water vacation boat diving). But being easy doesn't mean it isn't a great dive -- there's lots to see and a fair bit to explore, and the depth means you could probably do a pair of hour-long dives on 80's if you so wanted. Highly recommended for divers from beginners right on up!

(BTW - for others new to McAbee be sure to check out the trip reports, photos, and video from the McAbee M&G the regulars on the board posted a few weeks back -- check it out here (also several links embedded within that thread): Click Here

We were blessed with good conditions, but I'm led to believe that even with less favorable conditions McAbee is a super easy, relaxing shallow dive, even for newcomers to Monterey and/or shore diving (most of my diving has been warm-water vacation boat diving).

Glad you had a great dive! We were there this morning, and the viz opened up at about 40fsw and it was gorgeous as always. We hit a metridium patch at ~55fsw, and after a long dive surfaced WAY too far west (almost aligned with Bruce Arris Way).

Be careful though. Macabee is usually a totally mellow dive, but some regulars here have had some really hairy moments on entry/exit when the surf suddenly picks up. Always watch the water for at least 10-15 minutes before heading in, and never turn your back on the surf.

I think I saw you Saturday. I was there with some others for our Underwater Photography class. I'm the one with the bright orange pattern on my drysuit. The vis there was definitely great. I had my first sea lion encounter there. Fun little rascals.

As far as the the public restrooms go, I believe our instructor said they were open when he arrived ~8am or so.

Thought I'd use this thread to offer a newcomer's view of McAbee Beach. On the specific point of the OP's post, just as Gombessa said, there are public restrooms a block up at the parking garage (where there is also a change machine for parking meters) -- however I'm not sure when the RRs open - they were closed at ~7:00 am Saturday.

So, that out of the way I'll share some general first-timer thoughts on McAbee that other newbie's might find valuable (or at least not a waste of time!):

Saturday AM I met with my instructor for my dry suit check-out dives; we selected McAbee and he suggested we meet right at the beach utilizing street parking at 7:00 am. At that time we were able to park right in front of the beach entry. Parking meters aren't required until 9:00 am, so we went down to the water's edge to check conditions, briefed the dive, and suited up right there on the edge of the sidewalk. There is a very nice set of access stairs & ramp from the sidewalk down to the upper beach area which eliminates the need to traverse even a short little hill in gear. Fully geared, we wlaked down the steps across a short expanse of sand, and out into the water to again check gear, pull on hoods and gloves, and put on fins. We were the first divers on scene and in the water, and there was still ample street parking on Cannery Row right near the entrance.

The beach area is very well sheltered and conditions were about as easy an entry as one could imagine. There were almost no waves to speak of, and its a gently sloping sandy beach entry. The tide was on the low side. Once fully suited we swam out on our backs through the first thin line of kelp to the open, sandy-bottomed beach-side of the rocky kelp-bed off-shore. From there it was an easy descent to ~17 feet. We were blessed with great viz -- around 20 - 25 feet. After having to do a few drills / skills (it was a check-out dive after all) we went on to have fun exploring -- and it was great fun. we routed around and through the kelp bed several times, and during the approx 35 minute dive we were accompanied by two harbor seals and occasionally a third juvenile seal. They were super playful and a near constant presence -- occassionally nudging gently against our legs and frequently nipping at our fins. At one point one, with my instructor in front of me while swimming single file through the kelp, I watched one of the seals nudge at my instructor's thigh pocket and then carefully and slowly use its front flipper to seemingly try to opne the flap on the pocket (I hope this doesn't mean it is used to being fed by divers). While the seals were the highlight of the dive, we also saw numerous nudis in a variety of colors, numerous smaller kelp crabs, a good-sized sea cucumber, numerous smaller fish, and omnipresent stars and sunflower stars. We ended the dive a little early because I felt underweight in the shallower spots (never deeper than 30 feet, and sometimes at 12 - 15 feet) as my tank grew more buoyant -- so only 35 minutes.

The exit was as easy as the entry. By now (approx 8:45 am) a group of 5-6 divers had spread blankets down near a wall on the upper beach and were gearing up for their first dive. We got to regale them with tales of the viz, the seals, and all the life out and about that morning. One minute later, we're up the stairs and taking off gear on the sidewalk for our SI. We kept our kits just at the edge of the sidewalk / gutter so as not to block the walkway and I didn't feel we were unfairly intruding on the sidewalk space at all. With it almost 9:00 am, $1.50 bought us parking until almost 11:00. SI was spent hanging out right there above the beach; the street parking was now all taken and tourists and visitors were strolling up and down Cannery Row, and it was fun talking to people, especially kids, who stopped to ask about the diving and the equipment we had.

About ten to ten, back down the steps for dive 2. We more or less did the same dive. Conditions were still great, with just the tiniest of surge felt occasionally. For much of this dive, the seals were elsewhere, though they made a few appearences. The highlight this time was coming around a little rise in the kelp bed rocks to see something wedged in between two rocks, kicking up a little sand and bubbles. After about 20 seconds watching from a short distance, a good-sized sea otter backed out of the rock crevasse (alas, empty-handed), turned to see he had an audience, and took off for the surface. Once again there were a ton of other critters to see as well (though the otter foraging was the highlight). With a few extra pounds on me this time we stayed down for 50+ minutes just doing a leisurely tour of the kelp bed; once again never deeper than 30 feet. Topside, an extra quarter in the meter allowed us to de-kit and pack, and we were ready to go (or stay!) by 11:15 am.

We were blessed with good conditions, but I'm led to believe that even with less favorable conditions McAbee is a super easy, relaxing shallow dive, even for newcomers to Monterey and/or shore diving (most of my diving has been warm-water vacation boat diving). But being easy doesn't mean it isn't a great dive -- there's lots to see and a fair bit to explore, and the depth means you could probably do a pair of hour-long dives on 80's if you so wanted. Highly recommended for divers from beginners right on up!

(BTW - for others new to McAbee be sure to check out the trip reports, photos, and video from the McAbee M&G the regulars on the board posted a few weeks back -- check it out here (also several links embedded within that thread): Click Here

I think I saw you Saturday. I was there with some others for our Underwater Photography class. I'm the one with the bright orange pattern on my drysuit. The vis there was definitely great. I had my first sea lion encounter there. Fun little rascals.

As far as the the public restrooms go, I believe our instructor said they were open when he arrived ~8am or so.

Hey guys....

Please forgive me for the brief hijack...

Fobturbo.....

What did you think of the PADI photo class???

Could it be better, was it worth the money could there be more to it...

I teach the class and am looking for some outside input.

PM me if you would like so we don't steal anymore time from this thread...

Thank you and I apologize for the hi-jack guy's:D

Yup - though I don't remember a distinctly bright orange pattern on the drysuit. My dry suit instructor was from the same shop as your photog class and we (mostly my instructor) chatted with your instructor for several minutes after our first dive while you all were getting kitted up. Sorry I missed the sea lion; glad the water & weather cooperated for great viz during your class!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom