Maybe a dumb question, but....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastaci

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I heard from a source at our LDS that 2 of our classmates failed their written exam. Now there were 50 questions and you could only miss 11 and still pass. They missed 30 each
So, the guys were always a little off in the confined water classes. One couldn't stay in one spot. Ran into people, kicked people......The other panicked anytime water got in his mask. Both forgot equipment for class numerous times. Not responsible at all.
Well, both were at check out. One had problems descending, the other didn't do the last dive because "it was too cold" in a 5 mil wetsuit and the water was 74.

My question is this, when do you say, Sorry I can't certify you because you would be dangerous to other divers? There is no way that I would dive with either of them because they are a risk to themselves and therefore would be a risk to me.

Scubastaci,

I am sure many instructors will comment somewhat differently, but it depends.

Based on what you have written 30 questions wrong and "kicking" other students with the lack of responsibility and skill issues you describe should be major red flags IMO. How old were these student divers?

An instructor ought to evaluate skills learned and how they are executed while in confined water. If the instructor feels the diver/divers are a threat to themselves or others no open water dives should be attempted until proven otherwise.

The written exam can always be re-taken later. Some people do learn more after actually utilizing the knowledge they are learning. It does sound like they were not really into the spirit of the program from your description.

Did they complete all open water dives and have issues on the last one?

AZ

I would say that they are 18-23. Not positive though. The instructor that had our group (which was our instructor for the class)said that he would not certify them. That's why they were with the other instructor

I see! Wow, I feel for the other instructor. Again, hard to second guess without being there, but maybe they needed a bit more time in the pool and to re-take the test. This may have persuaded them to get into things, or bow out. Although we want many to dive, some should not...

I heard from a source at our LDS that 2 of our classmates failed their written exam. Now there were 50 questions and you could only miss 11 and still pass. They missed 30 each
So, the guys were always a little off in the confined water classes. One couldn't stay in one spot. Ran into people, kicked people......The other panicked anytime water got in his mask. Both forgot equipment for class numerous times. Not responsible at all.
Well, both were at check out. One had problems descending, the other didn't do the last dive because "it was too cold" in a 5 mil wet-suit and the water was 74.

My question is this, when do you say, Sorry I can't certify you because you would be dangerous to other divers? There is no way that I would dive with either of them because they are a risk to themselves and therefore would be a risk to me.

I have taken all my courses from two of the instructors at my LDS. Both are NAUI course directors.

Their minimum requirement for passing the written exam is a grade of 90. This means the maximum number of questions a student can get wrong and still pass is 5. The minimum grade of 90% is required on all written exams up to and including NAUI Master Scuba Diver. I cannot comment of the AI, DM and instructor exams since I have not yet taken any of those exams.

They also will not let anyone move from confined water training to the open water checkout dives unless they are totally confident that the students have learned the requisite skills.

NAUI sets the minimum requirements for the courses and encourages the instructors to go above and beyond the minimum requirements for certification.

You just described 2 perfect examples of failure........next example??....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom