Mayan Palace - diving close?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We will be staying at the Mayan Palace-Riviera Maya from Oct. 25th - Nov 3rd. Out of 6 people only my husband and I are divers, and would like to fiind out if there is a good, safe, convenient dive op anywhere close to the hotel.

I am having trouble finding a diagram that shows where the hotel is in that area, and I'm not sure if the Mayan Palace-Riviera Maya is the same, or not, as the Mayan Palace-Cancun.

Any help?

I had forgotten about how helpful the MapChick's stuff could be. Now I just need to find out how easy/hard it is to get a dive package for that area. I really don't want to have to drive into PDC to dive each AM, but I will do whatever I have to.

My wife & I stayed at the Mayan Palace. We dove out of PDC, but Puerto Morelos is not too far north & I've read of some dive ops up there as well (although am not familiar with any). Some dive ops will pick you up from Mayan Palace, which is convenient. Ours didn't pick us up, but they did drop us off. I think we used Yuca-Tek divers for a couple open water dives & a couple guided cenote dives in Chac Mool. The DM we dove with was quite good, but I'm not familiar with the rest of their operation.

Jim

I now only need to search for a reputable dive op that will p/u at the resort and all will be set. I wonder if there is a good one that isn't a cattle-boat operation.

5 yrs ago there were 2 or 3 dive shops in Puerto Adventuras alone. If you get a chance, check out Hidden Worlds too!

I did a couple of cenote dives with Hidden Worlds two years ago, and I plan to dive two more cenotes in August. Check them out at Hidden Worlds

Diving cenotes (underground waterway) is a truly incredible experience, and I don't believe there are too many places in the world where you can expereince them.

squarepants:
We will be staying at the Mayan Palace-Riviera Maya from Oct. 25th - Nov 3rd. Out of 6 people only my husband and I are divers, and would like to fiind out if there is a good, safe, convenient dive op anywhere close to the hotel.
Any help?
Hey! Me Too! I'll be at the Mayan Palace Oct. 24-31. My wife doesn't dive, so I'll be looking for buddies.

When I was there in February I dove with a small outfit in Playa Del Carmen called Phantom Divers (which is the shop that Mayan Palace set me up with). I'm not sure I would recomend them, as they were a little too laid back for my taste. I haven't secured any plans for diving yet on this next trip, but check out DivePuertoMorelos. CatBrown (who posts here often) recommended it and I thought I would pursue that. The town of Puerto Morelos is a lot closer than Playa Del Carmen. It costs about $20 each way to taxi into PDC. CatBrown says that Puerto Morelos is only 5 minutes North of us.

I also intend to get at least one dive trip to Cozumel as well. The vis is better there, and they have some great wall diving. Coz is about an hours ferry ride out of PDC.

Enclosed is a pic I found on the web of the Mayan Palace. This was taken before they put in the golf course. It's a beautiful place, and has a HUGE swimming pool.

Jerry

I'll be on Cozumel then off to the Mayan Palace in just a couple of weeks. I'm thinking we'll try Dive Puerto Morelos or maybe Scubamex.

I've never been to the Mayan Palace on the Mayan Riviera. How does everybody like it? I hear they have an aggressive sales staff, but what timeshare resort doesn't? I've also heard that its a bit isolated. However, last time we went we stayed in Cancun, and we ended up rarely being in Cancun but somewhere else along the Mayan Riveira or at Mayan ruins.

Thanks for the cool photo. I can't wait to show it to my travelling buddies.

I'll post a trip report when I return.

Loved that place, all the pools where great. You know you had a good trip when you get to LA with sea sand still on your feat............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom