May 7, night dive - octopus video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slamfire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
You can see the video here. The hand at the end of the clip is for scaling purposes only. No, I was NOT trying to grab it. Watch for the color changes. I will post more videos and images of last night's dive soon. This is in Kelvin Grove, BTW.

Last edited:
So tiny, when I saw the thread title and your location I was sure tp see a huge octopus.
Aren't the giant kind found in your local waters?

Sorry for misleading, Belmont. We originally were looking for a giant pacific octopus. Back in early Sep 2008 we found a giant in its cave during a day dive. Because they are nocturnal, this one was asleep. So we figured out we'd go for a night dive to the exact location and try to see if we caught up with him while moving about. We didn't find the big guy but we found his smaller cousin. The good news is that we did take footage of the giant octopus asleep. You can see the giant here.

Sorry. We only have that clip. Not that it would make much of a difference. Except for the breathing it was not moving at all. A longer clip would only show more of the same.

I am currently uploading more clips from yesterday's small one. You can see a 2nd clip here.

This one is a clip of one of those luminous things. Can anybody enlighten me as to their appropriate name? You can see it here.

Rockfish in its cave here.

Convict Fish AKA Painted Greenling here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, BradnerBoy.

Here's another clip of a couple of rockfish around another cave.

And another couple of rockfish here.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ50.

We use the factory housing rated for 40m. We've taken images at 129 feet with no problems. The camera is not mine. It is my buddy's. He also has an 8mp Sealife and the Panasonic is much better in terms of image quality. You can see for yourself. The video of the 'Giant' was taken with the Sealife. All other clips were taken with the Panasonic.

Another problem he had with the Sealife was that it flooded, and the factory denied the warranty claim because they said the case was ok therefore it must have been user error. I was not in the dive where it flooded but I highly doubt it was user error. I now it was not a deep dive and that it was well within the case ratings. They charged him a good amount to refurbish the camera. By that time my friend had already purchased a case for his regular dry land camera. Now the Sealife gathers dust in a closet.

I was the cameraman on the Thurs night dive because my buddy wanted some footage of himself picking up some seashells from the bottom of the ocean for his little nieces and nephews. He'd promise them he'd bring some shells and he'd make a movie while gathering them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom