May 14 Bohol pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
site.jpg

BBQ & surface interval on Pamilacan Island
banca.jpg

frogfish.jpg

grouper.jpg

nudi.jpg

turtle.jpg

octopus.jpg

anemone.jpg

I love the turtle shot! The designs on his shell are crazy. Thanks for sharing.

That is one very interesting dive boat and the turtle looks beautiful. Thanks for the shots.

now Jim.....did you scrub that turtle'd shell????? A bit of "turtle wax" maybe???? Spectacular...

Yep, that turtle shot is great. That is not saying the rest aren't, it's the interesting pattern on the shell that makes the shot.

Amazing pics.... the colours are incredible. Have you had to do much work in photoshop? What lens filter do you use to compensate for lack of red light? (or is there better ways around this?) excuse my questions but I am a newbie!

Amazing pics.... the colours are incredible. Have you had to do much work in photoshop? What lens filter do you use to compensate for lack of red light? (or is there better ways around this?) excuse my questions but I am a newbie!

I usually adjust the sharpness, brightness and/or contrast, and/or auto levels in PS7. As for the non-strobe shots like the turtle I use "Custom" white balance. I have a small piece of white plastic attached to my camera leash and I calibrate the white balance off it. IMHO it yields better results than the "Underwater" setting. I don't use any filters.

I shoot all my pics in the "M" mode and the strobe shots in the "Cloudy" white balance setting. The "Cloudy" setting seems to yield better colors than the "Auto" or "Sunny" settings.

I sometimes use the free version of Helicon Filter for noise reduction on the non-strobe open water shots like the turtle one.

I use one of the two custom settings on the G10 to save my strobe shot settings and the other to save the non-strobe settings. I still have to use the dial to change the ISO settings as they are not saved in the Custom Settings.

Fortunately I had previously calibrated the white balance at the depth I was at on the turtle shot. When the Divemaster pointed out the turtle it apparently saw the divers and took off. It went right under me as I was lagging behind the group, as I always do. All I had to do was change the setting from C1 to C2 and the ISO from 80 to 100 and I just had enough time to get off two shots before the turtle was gone. This shot was the better of the two.

That is one very interesting dive boat

These boats are "pump" boats as a crew member has to manually pump out seawater that gets into them. The common name for them in the Philippines is "banca boat" They come in various sizes but all have bamboo outriggers. They are powered by a truck diesel engine and transmission. A simple and fast design. No muffler though :smash:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom