Max pressure for US Divers Micra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA_Phil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was diving with a new dive buddy today and she used her air at a rate much faster than I. Today she was nearly empty while I still had 1100 PSI. I have a E7-100 tank and she has a steel 80 (rented). She is using her own US Divers Micra reg that has 3000 PSI max stamped on the first stage. It was serviced this past week. I would like to trade tanks to maximize our bottom time. The E7-100 is currently filled to 3400 PSI. We are going diving again tomorrow. Will the US Divers Micra have any issues at 3400 PSI? Is it safe? I would hope the the safety margin of the hardware is atleast 50%.

Thanks in advance

Phil

hmmm...I dived with a micra for years...have to confess I never noticed that...but I never had any issues with it...although I hesitate to suggest you don't follow mf..

However, if it's a steel 100 - why not just bleed it down to 3000 - the size will still provide the advantage.

I'm sure you will hear more useful information from someone who knows why that rating is there...but if not, I'd suggest to just bleed it down..

Bleeding it down to 3000 PSI will give the tank 90 cu ft. Not optimal, but better than what happened today! I could just keep my tank and just give her my octopus she she is near by.

...or you could just go shallower...or end the dive sooner...can't say "thumbs up" to purposely having her breathe off an octopus. Especially if she's a novice, that sounds like a good way to have a problem!

your right opiniongirl, some things should not be optimized! So that goes back to the original question: swap tanks or leave it alone?

swap 'em! It'll give you a bit more...

have a great time!

Hi Phil,

...if you do the math, you used 68 cu. ft. of air.........and if she ran her tank totally empty then she used 80 cu. ft. of air, which is only about a 15% difference in air consumption between the two of you. If she's a new diver, with more experience it won't be long before she matches, then exceeds you in air efficiency, since she's already pretty close to you now.

For the short term, swapping tanks is the obvious answer, as your 100 cu ft tank has 25% more air @ 3442 psi than her 80 cu. ft. tank, and since she's only using 15% more air than you, you'll be the one running out of air first.......or if you only fill the 100 tank to 3000 psi, that provides 87 cu. ft. of air, giving her 9% more air than her 80 cu ft. tank, and since she's using 15% more air than you, she will run out just slightly before you do.........or if you fill her 100 cu. ft. tank to 3200 psi, that gives her 93 cu. ft. of air, which would pretty much exactly match your endurance with the 80 cu. ft. tank, as that's 15% more air.

...as to the other issue of what's stamped on the 1st stage, I'm assuming the 3000 psi is stamped on the yoke......I wouldn't worry about using the Micra 1st stage on a 3400 psi tank......last summer in Cozumel Liquid Blue Divers provided us PST HP 120 steels, and everyone used yoke 1st stages without a second thought......especially since by the time we'd gear up the tanks had long since cooled to 3200 psi or so........no problems whatsoever. I'd just make sure the O-ring on the valve face is in good shape, and giving a good seal....that's a much more likely failure point than the risk of breaking the actual 1st stage yoke.

This past summer I spent a week in Bonaire, and a week on JULIET in the Bahamas, as well as a Labor Day weekend at the Texas Flower Gardens, on all 3 trips we used AL 80's...and all the fills ranged from 3100--3300 psi, everyone used yoke 1st stages without incident........the only 'issue' would be the occasional worn-out yoke O-ring leaking, as expected on well used rental tanks, I always have those in my save-a-dive kit and switch them out as I deem necessary.

Karl

why would you do something contrary to what is stamped. The safety margin is just that a safety margin. If you are really keen on swapping, I would swap out the yoke on the reg to a 300 bar DIN. Otherwise, I would leave them the same. Is the tank valve din or yoke? Another solution is for her to get a pony or bigger tank herself.

We ended up swapping tanks. I made a misake in the frist post, the stamp on her frist stage said "3000 PSI service pressure", the tank regestered 3400. Both setups are yokes. Good dive, it lasted 48 min! I ended up at 300 PSI and she had 825. Thanks for the input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom