Maui Water Temps and Vis This Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha,

I'm heading to Maui next week for some research on a piece I'm doing (photos, dive sites, etc.). Can anyone on the ground (or rather in the water) there please let me know what the current water temps are and how the vis is at the moment? Any dive sites showing particularly healthy amounts of marine life activity of late?

Much Mahalo!

Water temperature was 77 degrees yesterday. Viz depends on the site. Makena landing had upwards of 50' viz today, but Molokini was well over 100' of viz, so there simply isn't one answer to your question.

Your other question is impossible to answer since marine life is constantly changing on the reefs. We've had dives where you can't move 3' without seeing something cool and the next day at the site you see almost nothing.

You also don't specify whether you're wanting to know about shore sites or boat sites.

Hi there and thanks for the update on the conditions over there. 77 sounds chilly (I'm a wuss) so I'll be bringing a 7mm suit.

We'll be shore diving but might sneak in a day of boat diving, we'll see.

Thanks again!

Since you'll be able to warm up between dives, you might find a 5mm full suit to be a good option. I dive Maui year around and although I'd love a 7mm suit in April, an older 5mm is perfect for summer, and I'm a big whimp too. We do 90+ minute shore dives and I rarely get cold in a 5mm, but ultimately you know your own cold tolerance.

I think my suit just decided for me. I tried on the 7mm and got it wet using the shower. Man it was a project getting it off! I don't want to be doing that before and after each dive so I'm gonna roll with an older 5mm and a 3mm hooded vest. Hopefully I'm not freezing my buns off. I use that same setup in much warmer waters and get cold even when it's 81/82. That's what living and diving in Southeast Asia for 13 years will do to ya!

Since you'll be able to warm up between dives, you might find a 5mm full suit to be a good option. I dive Maui year around and although I'd love a 7mm suit in April, an older 5mm is perfect for summer, and I'm a big whimp too. We do 90+ minute shore dives and I rarely get cold in a 5mm, but ultimately you know your own cold tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom