Maui Resort in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehrmanna

Registered
Reaction score
Long story but I am going to the Grand Wailea resort in Maui in June.....for FREE!! (again, long story).

I have never been to Hawaii before and intend to do some diving while there.

Here's my question(s) -- the resort claims to have a dive shop. Does anyone know if this shop is affiliated with any of the many highly-recommended operators posted on this board? Anyone know anything about the Grand Wailea dive shop? Go with them or go off the grounds? Will other dive operators pick me up at the Grand Wailea if I so desire?

What advice do you have for me?

ehrmanna:
Anyone know anything about the Grand Wailea dive shop? Will other dive operators pick me up at the Grand Wailea if I so desire?
The dive shop at the Grand Wailea, like onsite dive ops at lots of luxury resorts, is mostly oriented towards short Discover Scuba dives for non-certified guests. There is some reasonable diving at Wailea Point, a couple hundred yards south, with the best entry being from the beach in front of the Four Seasons (next hotel to S. of Grand Wailea). The onsite dive op is a reasonable choice if you don't have a buddy and don't want to go solo. I think that most of the time, the Grand Wailea dive op does shore dives on the smaller point just to the north of the hotel. I haven't dove that one.

No piers or boat pickups at the Grand Wailea, but several good dive operators depart from the Kihei boat ramp which is only about 5 minutes from the Grand Wailea (The drive will probably take less time than it takes to get from your room to your car).

While there are some nice shore dives, often the swells will dramatically reduce visibility. OTOH, Molokini almost always has awesome viz. The downside is the $100+ cost of two tank dive trips.

If you you only have a little bit of free time outside of your conference/meetings, I'd take a boat out to Molokini with Mike Severns, Ed Robinson's, or B&B Scuba. If you have lot's of opportunities to dive,you might do a mix of shore and boat dives.

ehrmanna:
Long story but I am going to the Grand Wailea resort in Maui in June.....for FREE!! (again, long story).

I have never been to Hawaii before and intend to do some diving while there.

Here's my question(s) -- the resort claims to have a dive shop. Does anyone know if this shop is affiliated with any of the many highly-recommended operators posted on this board? Anyone know anything about the Grand Wailea dive shop? Go with them or go off the grounds? Will other dive operators pick me up at the Grand Wailea if I so desire?

What advice do you have for me?
Hi,

We dove from Wailea Beach which is the dive site immediately next to the Grand Wailea a couple of years ago. We rented tanks from their dive shop, which was nothing more than a large shack with gear rentals, classes and a few accessories. I don't remember much else about their operation though, except that they were helpful in describing the dive site.

The dive there is shallow - 40' at the first reef, and slightly deeper farther out and it's fairly open, there's some interesting stuff near the point. Picture of Wailea beach: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/Wailea/

I think the big white building in the center of the picture is the Grand Wailea, so you can see how close it is. It's a popular site, not one of the best for shorediving on Maui, but it's an easy sandy beach entry with maybe a 100 yd. swim out to the reef. When we were there there were divers constantly coming/going. Lots of fish, we saw Puffers, a group of big Pipefish, Triggers and hundreds of reef fish. There's supposed to be Turtles and even Mantas are seen there occasionally.

The Ulua Beach/Makena Landing area nearby also has good diving.

Since you're staying in South Maui, you should dive with Robinsons, Severns or B&B Scuba. I don't know about B&B but Robinsons and Severns leave from the Kihei boat ramp, which is probably 10 min. or less north. If you look at Severn's info page, they have directions from Wailea. I don't think there are any dive operations that will pick you up in South Maui. Since the South/West coasts of Maui are so far from the airport in Kahului, most people rent cars. There is a shuttle service available from Kihei, they picked me up quickly when I called them.

The resort is sort of by itself as it's surrounded by golf courses and condos so unless you plan to spend all your time there, I'd suggest renting a car. Restaurants in the Kihei area are a couple miles away, there is one really upscale shopping center nearby that you could maybe walk to, but when we were there all that was there was an upscale outdoor sandwich type place and one other restaurant. But it was under construction so there might be more there now.

We ate at the Grand Wailea buffet once, the food was great and you can't beat the view. The way the resort is situated, the lobby and public areas are on top of a cliff and the resort drops down below to the ocean level. It's pretty impressive. If you're golfers, play the Blue Course, serious golfers, play the Gold Course.

You'll should really see the rest of Maui. Maui Ocean Center is a really good aquarium - it's about 45 min to the north. Lahaina town is about an hour north, it's really the heart of the tourist part of West Maui, most of the galleries, shops etc. are there, and there's Kanaapali and Kapalua as well. They're also the most touristy, several times we went through there there were traffic delays, especially by the West Maui airport. If you look at a map, it doesn't look that far but there's only one main road and everybody uses it - times can double if there's an accident.

The Kihei/Wailea area is quite a bit quieter, I think some of the locals live in Kihei also, so it's a mix of resorts, condos, public beaches, regular stores and some good restaurants. Some of this may have changed, we were there in 2001.

PM if you have other questions,

Steve

sjspeck:
Picture of Wailea beach: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/Wailea/

I think the big white building in the center of the picture is the Grand Wailea, so you can see how close it is.
Actually, the building in the center of the picture (whitish, with green roofs that don't show well in the photo) is the Four Seasons. A portion of the Grand Wailea is on the left side of the photo. The public access parking and restroom is between the two hotels.

Back
Top Bottom