Maui or Kauai for Casual OW Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jarand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are looking at Hawaii in late April - early May. We will do the Night Manta Dive and maybe a few other dives on the big island. Then either Maui or Kauai for more diving and general vacationing. Which one?

We are in our 60's and casual OW divers. We've always done boat dives, but would consider shore dives that don't required lugging gear too far. We usually hire a private DM and stick with easier dive profiles.

Recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks.

Both Maui and Kaua'i are great for casual divers, with most sites around 20 MSW. For me, both islands offer a wealth of activities (both land-based and underwater), so it would be difficult to choose one over the other. You can't go wrong with either one.

Agreed across the board with Deinonych.

Maui and Kauai both have fantastic fantastic diving. Should you choose Maui I feel that the staff at Mike Severn's diving is amazing and sets the bar for diving in Hawaii. That being said, there are many great operations throughout Maui and Kauai that will cater to you needs and desires.

Speaking of diving on Kauai as that's my neighborhood....

Koloa Landing is a PERFECT spot for easy guided diving for those interested in critter intensive, easy diving with long bottom times. It's pretty much a sure thing for a wonderful half day of personalized diving with spectacular critters. Go with the right guide and they will make it very easy for you! It's a short walk into the water if you wish, otherwise your gear can easily be taken down the water for you to get into in shallow water. Many of the guides down there are experts at finding critters and ensuring a safe and wonderful morning of diving.

Kauai can be a bit bumpy on the charters especially in the afternoon so I always suggest morning dives. Most of the diving is in the 40-70ft range from the boats with deeper sites available for those interested.

You should feel very comfortable when booking to request WHATEVER is you would like to make your day enjoyable and comfortable to your experience level. Hawaii is loaded with so many experienced and talented diving professionals! Nothing wrong for asking for a lead DM or a guide who has been at the operation for years. That being said, I really (again) feel that guides in Hawaii are very well trained and professional. There is a very high standard for safety and diver care here.

Kauai is sleepier than Maui and while it has many activities for sure - Maui has many more topside attractions. A little more hustle and bustle, but beautiful without a doubt. The Aquarium there is fantastic. Kauai's north shore is a must see with beautiful beaches, waterfalls, wet and dry caves etc.

Feel free to continue to send specific questions as you continue to narrow things down. Corrine with Big Island divers (Kona) is a wonderful guide that I would happily send anyone to.

Have a wonderful week and thanks for the opportunity to share diving/vacationing thoughts with you.
A

Both Maui and Kauai offer great opportunities for relaxed diving. I'm a bit biased toward Maui diving since I live here and work in the industry (and love it!).

Maui offers a variety of both shore and boat diving that is geared toward your experience level. Banyan Tree Divers is a small shore diving company that dives along Maui's west coast. If you are looking to dive Mala Pier (one of Maui's premier shore dives) then you might consider this one.

If you are looking for a boat experience with relaxed dive profiles then consider Molokini Crater. There are a number of boat companies that leave from both Kihei and Lahaina for this site. Which one you choose depends on where on Maui you will be staying. Mike Severns Diving is often recommended on this forum. I have no personal experience with them but they have been around for a long time and that says a lot.

No matter where you end up for your island hopping adventure you will adore the diving. Hawai'i really is a unique place for exploring the underwater world. Enjoy!

Some great feedback already!
I'd like to add "Kona Honu Divers", the new owners are super nice guys and their passion for the ocean is alive and thriving!

On Kauai, I run "ExploreKauaiScuba". We're a shop just over 2 years old, but making a big hit. We offer very personalized non rushed trips. We understand diving isn't cheap, so we do everything we can to get your moneys worth. Our love for the ocean is easily contagious. As for land activities, we are the Garden Island, so plenty of beautiful and lush landscape. I love the Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park(not after diving because of 4,000ft+ elevation). Plenty of hiking trails and scenic outlooks.

On Maui, Haleakala National Park is amazing(not after diving - 10,000ft!). A Haleakala sunrise or sunset is hands down beautiful but definitely chilly, bring jackets and blankets! The road to Hana is hands down beautiful but sometimes crowded. I've always liked the road PAST Hana. Everyone tends to turn around by time they hit Hana, past it is usually pretty quiet.

I not only dive all the islands out here, I hike/camp/explore them too. For more in-depth land questions, feel free to direct message me so I'm not flooding a dive forum with non water discussions! haha!

AquamanKauai has plenty of great knowledge of the islands, and his posts will give you tons of info as well.

We just recently dove with ExploreKauaiScuba (two shore and two boat dives). Extremely satisfied with their operation. Nick provides a very comprehensive briefing on each dive site with an emphasis on the critters, which he was very good at finding and identifying underwater. On the shore dives there were only three of us, two on the boat dives. I believe their prices are lower as well, and I got a discount for having my own gear. On the boat dives we also had Jessie, also an instructor, who was very helpful and who takes amazing underwater photos. Great operation.

I have no experience diving other Hawaiian islands, so can't compare with Kauai. We did see plenty of critters, though.

Was in Maui this summer. Diving was great plus there is a lot to do there. Molokini, Mala pier and especially Lanai were awesome. I also like Kauai but prefer Maui.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom