Maui Exposure Protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crapwheresmyreg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Guys,
I am heading to Maui at the end of the week to do some diving. We plan on doing 4 shore dives, and 2 boat dives over a week. All my diving thus far has been in Monterey and I dive a 7mm suit with a 2mm vest. I am toasty warm in this. I called a couple dive shops in maui and am having trouble locating a 3mm 3x full suit. Do you think a 3mm shorty would do? I have been looking around and see people say everything from 5mm full suit, to no suit at all. Anyone been there recently that might have a good handle on this? I think most of our dives will be in the 20-50 ft range. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a buddy that lives on Maui. Says it's mid 80's right now. He has been diving with a rash guard. I was there last year June, July and used a 3 mil shorty. It's not like the Bahamas but it's warm enough. Note, depending on where you dive there is coral. My wife got cut pretty good just barely toughing her leg. Most dive trips go out of Lahaina but there are some spots on the other side of the island in Kihei - it's a locals area so the food is cheaper too. Have fun.

I have a buddy that lives on Maui. Says it's mid 80's right now. He has been diving with a rash guard. I was there last year June, July and used a 3 mil shorty. It's not like the Bahamas but it's warm enough. Note, depending on where you dive there is coral. My wife got cut pretty good just barely toughing her leg. Most dive trips go out of Lahaina but there are some spots on the other side of the island in Kihei - it's a locals area so the food is cheaper too. Have fun.
Thanks man, I appreciate the help. We are staying in Kihei and will be shore diving around there. I will take a shorty with me.

This time of year I'd be in a t-shirt/board shorts. Especially at the depths you're talking about. But I'm not cold. My thinner buddy probably has his full 3mil but I think that'd be too warm for me. A shortie will probably be just fine - it's what they rent anyway.

Actually More boats go out of the Kihei ramp than Lahaina harbor - just a couple of the bigger ones (Lahaina Divers) are docked there.

More of the better shore diving is in the Kihei/Wailea area but parking can be an issue at the more popular sites. Most are beach entries so coral cuts are only a problem if you're clumsy.

For tanks etc. the Maui Dive shops are in convenient locations north/south - also Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei specializes in shore diving. They also book Maui Diamond II - moored in Ma'alea just north of Kihei. The Maui Ocean Center there is definitely worth a stop as well.

There's others but my suggestions for boat dives from the Kihei ramp are Ed Robinson's Diving, Mike Severns or B&B Scuba. They're generally going to dive Molokini Crater and the south Maui coast. Ed might go a little farther north on the Adventure dives. Most of the Severns crew are naturalists for a better dive experience. Plan on getting up early - most try to leave by 6am to beat the late morning tradewinds coming back over. Some may do a dive at the crater then move back for dive #2 anyway - it's all good.

Good shore dives in South Maui are Makena Landing, 5 Caves, Polo or Ulua Beaches. I'm not as big a fan of the Kamaole beaches in Kihei since there's a lot of beachgoers on most usually. One not to miss is Mala Pier in north Lahaina also if you feel like driving up - plan for an 45mins. each way or slightly less. The Lahaina boats mostly go to Lanai - usually one of the Cathedrals sites.

Any boat dives in that area to Turtle Town are a generic name for any number of sites where you'll likely see some.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom