Maui Earthquake just Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's a race perhaps, to post first about the earthquake.....

usgs:
Magnitude 3.6 - duration magnitude (Md)
Time Saturday, December 18, 2010 at 10:11:22 AM (HST)
Saturday, December 18, 2010 at 20:11:22 (UTC)
Distance from Makena, Maui - 14 km (8 miles) SW (221 degrees)
`Ulupalakua, Maui - 16 km (10 miles) SW (235 degrees)
Keokea, Maui - 24 km (15 miles) SW (228 degrees)
Kahului, Maui - 37 km (23 miles) S (190 degrees)
Coordinates 20 deg. 33.9 min. N (20.565N), 156 deg. 31.8 min. W (156.531W)
Depth 7 km (4.3 miles)

The reason I am not posting in the non diving forum is because I think we will hear from divers who were under water during the earthquake. :coffee:

The South Maui dive sites are between the epicenter and my chair, and I felt a significant "thump." :shocked2:

I've worked seismic exploration and it seemed a very similar "thump" to being a quarter mile away from 50lbs of dynamite detonated in a 100 foot deep hole. :idk:

I'm betting divers had a very memorable experience...

I was underwater during one of the Big Island earthquakes a few years ago. Didn't feel any shaking but you could hear it. It was a loud muffled thumping sound that went on for 10-15 seconds, like somebody in the car next to you turned up the bass too high.

Had no idea what was going on until later when it was on the news.

That is similar to how a few Molokini guides described the Big Island big one back in '06 (10/15 - 6.7).

Well actually they said it was like a bunch of the biggest stadium concert sub's "blew out" for 10-15 seconds.

We felt it as we were sitting on our balcony at the Wailea Marriott.

I was getting ready for a dive but didn't feel anything. I was down in the Makena area too. Maybe we thought it was the construction noise from the big earth movers they are using there today.

I did feel the one a few weeks ago while sitting on a couch around 6:34 pm. It was a 5.3 or close to that I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom